The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 22nd, 2024, 2:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clock in the SC-CMFB of the opamp in pipelineADC (Read 3387 times)
baohulu
Community Member

china
clock in the SC-CMFB of the opamp in pipelineADC
Jun 14th, 2006, 9:35am

hi,

in my design of pipeline ADC, I choose a common used SC-CMFB for my opamp, but I am not sure
whether the clock of the SC-CMFB of the opamp is the system clock of the pipeline ADC

for example, if my pipeline ADC is 100MSampling/s, then do I need to set my clock of the SC-CMFB of the opamp as 100MHz

View Profile   IP Logged
Sid
Community Member

Re: clock in the SC-CMFB of the opamp in pipelineA
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2006, 9:23am

Sorry that you are getting a delayed answer for your question. The answer is typically YES. This is because the OTA does nothing during one half cycle and hence you can use fCMFB = fpipeline. For eg, when stage 1 samples the signal the OTA is not used and can hence be connected to the CMFB capacitors. During hold, the OTA is in amplify mode.

However, if your pipe is using OTA sharing between stages, this may or may not be possible and you may have to be more careful.

Hope this helps,
-Sid

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2006, 5:56am

Sid wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006, 9:23am:
For eg, when stage 1 samples the signal the OTA is not used and can hence be connected to the CMFB capacitors. During hold, the OTA is in amplify mode.

Hope this helps,
-Sid

Hi Sid,

This sounds dangerous to me. If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that the CMFB loop be broken during the amplification phase. That would not help much as this is the time when the CMFB should really be doing the job of controlling the CM levels. Improper or missing CM control can be fatal to circuit operation and performance.

Perhaps you mean something else.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2006, 7:02pm

Hi, all,

The clock of SC-CMFB is always non-overlapping clock, the same as the non-overlapping clock for sample and hold.  However, it doesn't matter that the CMFB cap should be tied to the opamp output at sampling phase or hold phase. In a pipelined ADC with amplifier sharing, the CMFB cap is tied to the opamp output at stage1's sampling phase and stage2's hold phase, or vice versa. So don't worry about it.

BG
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.