The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 22nd, 2024, 12:19pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CMOS Bandgap: Why high area BJTs? (Read 681 times)
ipsc

India
CMOS Bandgap: Why high area BJTs?
Jun 25th, 2006, 11:51am

Hi,

What decides the area of BJTs we use in bandgap references?

Why do we generally use large area BJTs in CMOS bandgap references?

Can somebody please answer these?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: CMOS Bandgap: Why high area BJTs?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2006, 12:13pm

This is just a guess:

Vbe=Vt*ln( I/(Is*A) ), so the larger the device is, the less the area variations will affect Vbe; you get a better-defined Vbe for a given I.

View Profile   IP Logged
ace

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2006, 2:04am

i think matching is fairly important, as one usually uses area ratioing to produce a deltaVbe term (the PTAT part) and then another bjt for the CTAT part. using large area devices allows for perhaps better matching of devices (especially of Is which is function of temp)
additionally in CMOS it usually pretty inevitable the bjt parts are large beacuse they are parasictic devices so aren't optimised for small size/contact areas.

View Profile   IP Logged
ipsc

India
Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2006, 11:24am

Hi,

Above reasons seem reasonable to me.

But now, I was told that it is mainly to reduce the base resistance, which is large for vertical PNPs of CMOS technology. If so, it's not clear to me 'how high base resistance will affect the bandgap performance?'.

Any idea?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2006, 3:50am

if noise is important, then having low rb will help... but in most bandgaps, it is not usually the dominating noise term...

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2006, 1:02am

I think there is a number of considerations here.

First and most practicle is what transistor (model and layout) you are getting from the foundary with the design kit.
I still remember times when the only one was 10X10. Now you may have others like 5X5 and 2.5X2.5. If your drsign was originated some time back and was silicon proved in previous processes (like 1 μm, 0.5, 0.35, 0.25 etc), why to change?

2. The β of parasitic bipolar transistor is very low and varies with ICE. The β graph has some bell like curve, where the maximum is the preffered operating point. For small transistors, current which gaves max β may be low (let's say 1-3 μA), so you band-gap will be very mismatch sensitive. If you operates your band gap with higher currents, it will not be the band gap which your are expected to see, it will have too steep temperature curve.

3. Rb is also playing the role here. If you have small transistors, ratio of parasitic Rb and your designed resistor are growing and reducing you band gap abilities (more steap curve, more PVT sensitivity, more wafers/lots statistical spread). It is interesting to note that some time back for one of my previous emloyers I designed the small circuit to compensate Rb influence and Rb variation...

Hope, this explains something,
Michael

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
jcpu2006

Hsinchu
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:57pm

mikki33 wrote:
Rb is also playing the role here. If you have small transistors, ratio of parasitic Rb and your designed resistor are growing and reducing you band gap abilities (more steap curve, more PVT sensitivity, more wafers/lots statistical spread).

Dear Sir:
I have been seriously looking into BGR wafers/lots statistical spread.
Large Rb, to me seems to be systematic error intuitively.
Please teach more detail how does it cause statistical spread.

Thanks in advance.

View Profile   IP Logged
ipsc

India
Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2006, 1:27pm

Thanks Michael, for your very detailed answer. But few things are not clear to me. Can you please explain?

1.  Why do we need to bias a BJT at high β? Since in a CMOS bandgap emitter current and not the collcetor current
is used to obtain ΔVBE, I think, β value should not matter.
However I think, low β coupled with high RB might cause some problem as vb of two BJTs
will not be at zero and MAY not be EQUAL. Am I right?

2. I have checked RB, RE, and RC values for 2X2um, 5x5um and 10X10um BJTs of 0.15um TSMC technology.
To my suprise I found that RB and RC values are almost same for all, though RE decreases as the size increases.
I think, thus one is not getting any benifit by going to high area from Rb perspective alone.   Exclaim Undecided

3. I am eager to know the method to compensate Rb effect. Can you please
post it?

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:21pm by ipsc »  
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2006, 7:27pm

hi, ipsc,

As Michael said, Quote:
The β graph has some bell like curve, where the maximum is the preffered operating point.
At the top of the bell like curve, the emitter current has good exponential relationship with Vbe. That's where the operation principle of BGR orginated.

I am curious that RB and RC values are almost same for all, though RE decreases as the size increases. I will check my design, which is designed in SMIC 0.13um process. It has good temprature curve, but it spreads very large at TT, SS, and FF corners.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2006, 8:48am

jcpu2006 wrote on Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:57pm:
I have been seriously looking into BGR wafers/lots statistical spread.
Large Rb, to me seems to be systematic error intuitively.
Please teach more detail how does it cause statistical spread.

Larger Rb means larger variation of the difference of Rb and Rb/10 (if you are using 1:10 transistors ratio). That means ΔVbe varies more. And your band gap voltage depends more on doping density which is the changing process parameter. (different wafers and different lots)

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2006, 9:06am

ipsc wrote on Jul 3rd, 2006, 1:27pm:
3. I am eager to know the method to compensate Rb effect. Can you please
post it?

It is to reduce the variation of ΔVbe with process and temperature. The bases of all 10 transistors were shorted and I used net of small diffusion or poly resistors (beleive me, I don't remember, it was so many yeras ago...) to connect them to the ground. I wrote some matlab to make optimizations and run perl to generate sim netlist run spice and read the results back to matlab...
I even don't remember what the silicon results were, I, probably, moved to another project, or left the company, or/and no one bothered to check it.

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2006, 9:14am

ywguo wrote on Jul 3rd, 2006, 7:27pm:
It has good temprature curve, but it spreads very large at TT, SS, and FF corners.

It may be the currents variations or your band gap has poor PSRR.
Also it may be worth to check your BJT work point from β point of view...
Does your bipolar transistor has typical/fast/slow model? If it is not, the situation on the silicon will be worse.
In this case you have to "create your own" fast and slow models (all parasitic resistors and β)

View Profile   IP Logged
ipsc

India
Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2006, 11:08am

ywguo wrote on Jul 3rd, 2006, 7:27pm:
hi, ipsc,

As Michael said, Quote:
The β graph has some bell like curve, where the maximum is the preffered operating point.
At the top of the bell like curve, the emitter current has good exponential relationship with Vbe. That's where the operation principle of BGR orginated.

Thanks a lot Yawei. I am not aware of this. I used to bias BJTs to some arbitrary current depending on my power budget. From now on, I will follow this. But I have one doubt. Since I can't bias both BJTs at maximum β, which one, larger or smaller, should I bias at max β?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2006, 12:35pm

You don't say what large is.... it seemed 20x20 um^2 used to be the standard.  This is way bigger than necessary for matching and just about anything else.  The only reason you needed to use that big of a device was because it was the only one that had a model... which is often the case unfortunately.  

Smaller dimensions work better all around... they have lower Rb for a given area (i.e. you obtain better performance by putting 10 4x4 devices in parallel instead of one 20x20).

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
ipsc

India
Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2006, 11:38am

Thanks Rob for your good questions. Let me make my question more clear.

I have seen most fabs mainly providing 5umX5um or 10umX10um devices. (of course now, recently I have seen 2umX2um as well along with 5umX5um for a 0.15um technology. However I was asked to use 5umX5um, as it is the one generally used by my company).

I felt, there must be some reason from BJT or Bandgap performance perspective as well to provide such a high area BJT models.  I feel, even 2umX2um for a 0.15um technology is a way bigger than necessary for matching alone.

Your last point brought me an important question. Suppose I have 2umx2um and 5umx5um BJTs. Can I just go and use four 2umX2um instead of one 5umX5um device OR can I just use one 2umx2um for one 5umX5um? If not, what are the parameters in the models that I have to look out for in choosing one of these options?

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.