The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 23rd, 2024, 7:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
about constant current reference (Read 1655 times)
caosl_zju

about constant current reference
Jul 06th, 2006, 2:50am

hi,all
I need a constant current reference in my circuit, it's value is about 1uA.I summed a PTAT current from bandgap and a CTAT current to achieve this target, it's TC performance is ok, but the resistance's value will departure 20%, so the current value will change at different corners.Anyone has an idea to design a current reference which only relevant to resisitance's ratio more than it's absolute value.Any advice is welcome,thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Jerome

Toulouse, France
Re: about constant current reference
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2006, 5:41am

Hello,

To my knowledge, such a block does not exist (without trimming of course).
I remember searching for such a block through the IEEE litterature without
success. This was 4-5 years ago.

If you find one, I am interested.

Good luck, Jerome.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2006, 7:35am

Hi,

There is no fundamental current reference. So you will have to live with the variation, unless you can use an external R, or if you can trim out the process variation of the on-chip R. Both techniques will require use of extra pins.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
mikki33
Community Member

Analog/Mixed
Signal/High Speed

Israel
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2006, 12:44pm

The use of external resistor is a common practice. In some cases it requires only 1 pin (if your groungs inside the chip and out are practically the same). In this case you may use 1% accuracy external resistor and get 3-5% accuracy of the "constant" current.

If you don't have time to do it good
you will find time to do it again
View Profile   IP Logged
ycj

Hsin Chu, Taiwan
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2006, 8:46pm

Several papers have targeted this issue.

1. Stephen Tang, Siva Narendra, Vivek De from Intel proposed a method for sub-1V operation and file a patent on it.

2. S. Sengupta, K. Saurabh, and P.E. Allen ( Yes, that P.E. Allen of GATech ) proposed another method on ISCAS 2004.

I myself tried Sengupta's method and got good result (+/-9%) in simulation, but failed in Stephen's method.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2006, 7:54pm

To quote the cited article:

"Measurements on a prototype chip, implemented in a 150nm logic process technology, validate the theories for two sub-1V MOS reference current generator circuits and show that 2X reduction in current variation is achievable across extremes of both process and temperature"

Not too terribly impressive. 2X of what? 40% down to 20% or?

To the best of what I know, the other opinions stated prior are accurate. Accurate voltage, not a problem. Accurate current requires a trim method or an external reference resistance. If anyone knows of something else, I would be very interested.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ycj

Hsin Chu, Taiwan
Reply #6 - Aug 7th, 2006, 11:09pm

loose-electron wrote on Aug 1st, 2006, 7:54pm:
To quote the cited article:

"Measurements on a prototype chip, implemented in a 150nm logic process technology, validate the theories for two sub-1V MOS reference current generator circuits and show that 2X reduction in current variation is achievable across extremes of both process and temperature"

Not too terribly impressive. 2X of what? 40% down to 20% or?

To the best of what I know, the other opinions stated prior are accurate. Accurate voltage, not a problem. Accurate current requires a trim method or an external reference resistance. If anyone knows of something else, I would be very interested.

Jerry

So you can try Sengupta's method if you don't like Stephen's.
It is true that accurate current source is difficult to be implemented without trim or external reference resistance. However, good current source still can be achieved with some circuit skills.

ycj

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2006, 10:45pm

Hi guys,

Sometimes I wonder if we should seek constant current or not. For eg., a constant GBW and phase margin must be the final goal for designing the amplifier. However, GBW and phase margin vary as the PVT even if there is constant current reference.

If we try to stabilize GBW and phase margin as PVT vary, should we use a constant gm current source? But a constant gm current reference is inversely proportional to R. R varies with PVT. It's near 40% including 100 degree Celsius temperature variation and +/-20% resistance value variation due to process.

Any comments are appreciated.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
caosl_zju

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2006, 7:02pm

hi,ywguo,
   There are some other situations need constant current,for instance,in oscillator,i need a current to charge the capacitor.If this current is not constant well,the frequency will be vary too much that cannot be accepted.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.