The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 6:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Filter Gain Response (Read 675 times)
Visjnoe

Filter Gain Response
Jul 12th, 2006, 8:47am

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing a Chebyshev bandpass filter (gm-C) with a passband ripple of 0.1dB.

It's however very difficult to come with the device sizes that make sure that the (typical) transistor-level simulation
has the same gain response as e.g. the MATLAB toolbox generated filter gain response. To this end, I'm now resorting to optimisation  :)

Anyway, I was just considering that - in general- it's very important to be on that curve? Or is close enough good enough?  :)

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Filter Gain Response
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2006, 12:39am

Hi Peter,

As long as the filter fulfils all requirements of your application, and is robust enough that
process variations and mismatch do not push it beyond spec, I see no reason to be absolutely
faithful to the ideal Chebyshev response.

As for how much is good enough, you need to decide that.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Filter Gain Response
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2006, 8:16am

I agree, so long as you can meet the system requirements (ie inband ripple & gain, groupdelay, signal handling, noise, out-of-band rejection, power, area etc.) then it'll be fine.

I have designed a few gmC filters for wireless transceivers in the past, and have always envitably had to tweak gm values and C values to "optimise" (mostly to correctly centre the response and "square up" the shoulders) when using real kit devices to get nearer the ideal mathematical response.

as you are using gmC, I guess you have some tuning mechanism to overcome PVT spread.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.