The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 12:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
optimum gray coding for pipelined ADCs (Read 2473 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

optimum gray coding for pipelined ADCs
Jul 19th, 2006, 6:54am

Hi,

I would like to use some gray coding in each of my pipeline stages in the event of sparkles in the
thermometer code although these are not very likely owing to a reduced stage resolution.

I designed a simple gray code keeping in mind not to map any thermometer line to more than one
output gray code. However, testing it with a single sparkle gives me a code which is away from the
corresponding error-free code by 2 steps instead of just 1. I would like to get an opinion on the optimal code for such a scenario.

I have 4 thermometer-coded lines T4-T1, and I am mapping these to 3 gray coded lines G3-G1,
where the respective MSBs are T4 and G3.

I use the following logic:

G3 = T4;
G2 = T2;
G1 = T1 (and) (not T3);

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: optimum gray coding for pipelined ADCs
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2006, 2:34am

Vivek,

I don't understand your method clearly. And I think a pipelined ADC doesn't need such a conversion.

Usually the sub-ADC in a pipelined ADC doesn't have sparkles because there is a front-end SHA. Even for a pipelined ADC which hasn't a front-end SHA, the sparkle is not a concern because of the reduced stage resolution.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: optimum gray coding for pipelined ADCs
Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2006, 8:35am

Hi Yawei,

I agree that normally it is not needed to perform such a conversion. However, if you are clocking at a very high rate, and latching the comparators well before the MDAC output is settled, then there is some scope for such errors, when taking the comparator offsets into account, at low supply levels.

Nonetheless, how would you select an appropriate Gray code assignment out of all the possible ones for say, a flash ADC.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.