The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 23rd, 2024, 6:25am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CDL netlist to SCS/Spectre netlist? (Read 15679 times)
keplin

SF Bay Area
CDL netlist to SCS/Spectre netlist?
Jul 21st, 2006, 5:18pm

Is there a way, given a CDL netlist to:

1) Generate a Cadence symbol view?
  2) Translate the CDL netlist into an SCS netlist so that it is simulatable in Spectre?
  3) Link the symbol view to the newly translated/imported netlist from 2 above, so that "netlist and run" inludes the *.scs netlist when generating input.scs?

View Profile keplin keplinjohansen   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: CDL netlist to SCS/Spectre netlist?
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2006, 1:48pm

You can use File->Import->CDL to read in a CDL netlist and generate a schematic. You can provide a device mapping file to map it to your design kit.

Having done that, you can create a symbol from the schematic (as you would a normal schematic), and then you can simulate it via the normal ADE flow.

Alternatively, since CDL is essentially SPICE, you could create a symbol (in a schematic, use Design->Create CellView->From Pin List and type in the pin names). Then in the CDF for the component, specify the termOrder for spectre to match the terminal order in the netlist. And then in ADE specify the CDL file as a model file.

The above are both rather abbreviated descriptions of what you need to do, but it's quite straightforward really. I just don't have time to do a detailed step-by-step description at the moment (especially as I'm typing this without access to the Cadence software).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
keplin

SF Bay Area
Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2006, 4:39pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the second method and the Spectre parser does not like the CDL netlist language (e.g. ".subckt" etc.), and the netlist I am trying to use is too large to make editing it by hand impractical.

However, I have not tried the first method you suggested.  Do you know of a place where I can look up the syntax of the device mapping file (e.g. sourcelink, cadence help, etc.)?

keplin

SF Bay Area
Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2006, 7:07pm

Ok, I found Spectre does parse CDL netlists correctly when the statement "simulator lang=spice" line is added to the top of the CDL netlist file.

Adding this line to the CDL netlist coupled with your second method to create the symbol cellview from the pin list works!

Thanks again.

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2006, 10:53pm

Glad you got it working. The devmap file is described in the documentation for Import CDL - which is in the Design Data Translators Reference manual (I think <instdir>/doc/transref/transref.pdf ). You need to be using IC5141, I think.

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.