The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 4:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pll synthesizer (Read 1692 times)
dragonzj

pll synthesizer
Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:25pm

As we know that the pll synthesizer has some main directive:the phase noise,the reference spurs,non harmonic spurs,the step size,reference phase noise,settling time....these directives affect each other.So when we optimize one,the other is deteriorated,for example,when we decrease the loop bandwidth,we can achieve good spur suppression,but it lead to the increase of the phase noise.So I hope that some one can give me more example of such cases so that I can sum them up.I think they would be very helpful when we designing our synthesizers.

View Profile dragonzj   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: pll synthesizer
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2006, 7:52am

I'm not sure I understand your question but I think I understand your problem. You must design a PLL to meet opposing performance requirements and design constraints. I have not seen a PLL design recipe that suits all PLLs. Perhaps that's why PLL designers have no trouble finding work these days. However, I can recommend an approach to the general design problem. In the absence of a reliable design recipe, I usually build AND VALIDATE a computationally efficient (i.e. fast) model of the system, along with simulation testbenches for all the performance metrics and design constraints of interest. Several CAE tools today have design optimizers. The models and testbenches bring these tools to bear on the design problem. In no way do I mean to imply that this approach is a "single stroke" solution.  I always have to try several starting points and do several iterations to find a good solution. However, armed with the proper models and testbenches, the optimizers and parameter-sweeping tools let you explore the design space more quickly. Sometimes, I can prove that a solution does not exist. Such information is critical in negotiating specification relief.

« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2006, 11:40am by Eugene »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.