The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 7th, 2024, 3:57pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sample and hold? (Read 1538 times)
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Sample and hold?
Jul 31st, 2006, 6:45am

Hello all,

I am new to verilog-A and I am building some behavioral model for a delta sigma modulator. I did the same thing using simulink before but this time I would like to try using verilog-A instead. Unfortunately, things does not go as what I think it would and I run some test case using some basic sample and hold. This is what written in the verilog-A reference that will implement an ideal sample and hold.

V(vo) <+ zi_nd(V(vi),{1},{1},period,trans);

There are something about the parameter "trans" in the function. At first, I thought it would be good to model the finite slew rate of most circuit have, so i just set it 1ns. When I cascade 2 SH together, I was expecting to see the output of them to be the same since there is no delay in the transfer function, but I found that the output of the second SH is actually being delayed by 1 period. I did the same thing using simulink and confirm that the output should be the same in this case.

Apparently when I specified the transition time, the second SH sample the data from the first SH before the output fully transition to the correct output, causing it to delay by 1 period and I guess that is why my verilog modulator is not stable in the first place because of the extra delay. Is anyone having the same problem? Can anyone confirm that?

chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.