The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 24th, 2024, 2:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A basic question? (Read 4641 times)
average

A basic question?
Aug 08th, 2006, 2:23am

Does the mosfet have the channel_length modulation effect when it operates in the triode region?

Green

View Profile   IP Logged
jeffyan
Community Member

Re: A basic question?
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2006, 2:47am

average wrote on Aug 8th, 2006, 2:23am:
  Does the mosfet have the channel_length modulation effect when it operates in the triode region?

Green

hi,
as i know, the channel_length modulation effect is defined in mosfet's saturation region.
jeff.yan

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2006, 10:23am

Channel length modulation is applicible only in saturation region. You need to have a pinch off scenario in place, so that the pinch off location changes.

When you are in triode region the entire channel is inverted (drain to source fully) so length modulation is not applicable.

hope that helps

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2006, 10:56am

loose-electron wrote on Aug 8th, 2006, 10:23am:
Channel length modulation is applicible only in saturation region. You need to have a pinch off scenario in place, so that the pinch off location changes.

When you are in triode region the entire channel is inverted (drain to source fully) so length modulation is not applicable.

hope that helps

Jerry

When you are in triode region, the entire channel is indeed inverted, but you can still have pinch-off due to velocity satuation (short channel effect). Although this is not "channel length modulation" in the traditional sense, the velocity saturation point is dependant on Vds, so the effects are similar to channel length modulation (ie, you see the knee in the Ids vs vds graph within the triode region).
This effect only occurs (as the name depicts) on short channel devices/high field strength situations.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2006, 11:18am

Well yes, agreed -
But there is a lot of bad information in textbooks on velocity saturation

Pinchoff Region – Electron carriers in the pinched-off region are velocity saturated,

Many texts use the illustration: "velocity saturation is similar to a gas under pressure traveling through a very small tube“

I still don't know who the originator of that one is. It is a nice illustration, but not valid.

Carrier velocity saturation is caused by horizontal electric fields to the channel. end.  

For an in depth discussion see:
"Carrier Mobility and Current Saturation in the MOS transistor"
IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, March 1965.

I wish I had an e-copy of the above, but it predates most computers.

- Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
average

Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2006, 5:57pm

I think your replies are very helpful for me, thanks all.

View Profile   IP Logged
qiushidaren
Community Member

I am a lovely
MOSFET!

Chengdu
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2006, 1:46am

jeffyan wrote on Aug 8th, 2006, 2:47am:
average wrote on Aug 8th, 2006, 2:23am:

Green

hi,
as i know, the channel_length modulation effect is defined in mosfet's saturation region.
jeff.yan

I agree with you, jeff.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.