The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 8:01pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ESD strategy in a multi-power domains chip (Read 21565 times)
LL

California
ESD strategy in a multi-power domains chip
Aug 16th, 2006, 1:06am

I've been doing some reading on the subject and found very limited info. I thought I throw this out there to learn something from you ESD guru in the forum.

In a multi-power segments IO ring, ESD conducting module (back to back diode) are used to separate each power segment. Given a scenario where each segment can be power down and the process is a sub-micro process with very high leakage, the task of balancing the leakage (increasing the # of back to back diodes) and ESD performance (wanting to keep the diode chain to minimum) become quite difficult.  Can some of you ESD guru comment on how you would approach this problem and what would be your strategy on this balancing act?

I also searched for paper on the subject and only come across one paper discussing the issue ESD performance vs the #'s of power segments?  Does anyone has a rule of thumb of how many power segments can a chip has before killing the ESD performance?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: ESD strategy in a multi-power domains chip
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2006, 9:56am

the rule of thumb i have used on chips i have worked on is that each domain must be connect to EACH OTHER domain by 1 ESD b2b diode structure. This is to ensure ESD robustness, but of course b2b diode effectiveness is dependant on size/area/layout etc.
The limitation this "rule of thumb" gives is that the layout becomes unmanageable when it comes to inteconnection of the padring...
The usual best point of information/advice is your foundry... they will know what ESD performance certain strcutures can acheive and what leakage/parasitic C etc. comes with it....

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2006, 3:17pm

Also, consider not breaking the grounds apart.
Sometimes (not all the time!) it is not worth it.

At the end of the day when you have things split, and ESD B2B diodes in place and all that (amps of current need to go thru!) the "seperated grounds" are dead short connected due to all the capacitance between them.

Do a quick and dirty AC spice analysis and you will see what I mean.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
LL

California
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2006, 12:53am

Thank you for your replies.  I'm starting to understand why to understand why ESD design is considered a black art.

View Profile   IP Logged
LL

California
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2006, 1:17am

ACWWong: what is highest # of domains have you built in a single chip? >5? >10? What is the best way to determine the upper limit of this number?

Loose-e: true, sometime breaking the ground is not necessary.  I have seen the b2b diode added for the ground for the purpose of noise isolation.  In theory, I can understand this but I have not come across a paper/publication that analyse the effectiveness of that.  How good is the isolation? How much better if the diode string is 2 diodes vs one?  Have you seen any published work in this area?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2006, 2:01am

LL wrote on Aug 18th, 2006, 1:17am:
ACWWong: what is highest # of domains have you built in a single chip? >5? >10? What is the best way to determine the upper limit of this number?

Loose-e: true, sometime breaking the ground is not necessary.  I have seen the b2b diode added for the ground for the purpose of noise isolation.  In theory, I can understand this but I have not come across a paper/publication that analyse the effectiveness of that.  How good is the isolation? How much better if the diode string is 2 diodes vs one?  Have you seen any published work in this area?

I have used upto 5 domains... but as i recall that chip was re-span and rationalised down to 3 without impact to performance (noise coupling etc.)
The SoC I am working on now would like to use 6 domains... but we have compromised some back down to only 2 domains (to keep ESD and layout guys happy!!). To be honest my experience has often told me that often you cannot "measure" the differences, and now we are always looking just for just say 1 analog/RF domian, and 1 digital domain. As an transceiver designer, we overcome circuit performance issues by running critical circuits like VCO or TXoutput off regulator output supply (not a new ESD domain) and lots of gnd pads (of the same domain) around the chip and good star pointing layout... that way trying to limit ESD ring mechanisms of noise/unwanted signal coupling....
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2006, 1:54pm

Most of the B2B diode stuff I have seen has been more "in the lab" than in a paper.
I don't believe every IEEE paper I read, they are not perfect.
(I can get away with taking that shot, I am a reviewer for both JSSC and MTT)

If you want to see how good the isolation is, start adding up all the parasitics between the two and do a quick analysis of that. At RF it is all shorted together. Then it becomes a question of "where RF starts" and that is open to debate.

Two ground domains sounds good to me. Going up to 6 sounds a little crazy IMHO.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2006, 2:42am

loose-electron wrote on Aug 18th, 2006, 1:54pm:
Two ground domains sounds good to me. Going up to 6 sounds a little crazy IMHO.

Jerry

Yes, we only have two ESD grounds now, but when we architected the SoC (which has 3 oscillators (2 xtal, 1 LC) full receiver with demod, full tx with modulator, synthesizer, switched cap ADC, Vboost, uProcessor, RAM, 80k gates of additional bespoke digital hardware etc. etc. on 1V 0.13u CMOS) means its easier to start in a conservative fashion, before rationalising based upon practicallity, analysis, experience etc.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #8 - Aug 21st, 2006, 2:00pm

Three oscillators running on the chip.  Ouch! Smiley

How many noise problems did you have first time out?
I got pulled in to debug a chip like that once and the digital designer was clueless on noise issues, we ended up re-floorplanning the chip and a dozen other things to get it quiet and happy.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2006, 1:51am

Hi,

loose-electron wrote on Aug 16th, 2006, 3:17pm:
Also, consider not breaking the grounds apart.
Sometimes (not all the time!) it is not worth it.

At the end of the day when you have things split, and ESD B2B diodes in place and all that (amps of current need to go thru!) the "seperated grounds" are dead short connected due to all the capacitance between them.

Do a quick and dirty AC spice analysis and you will see what I mean.

Jerry

I have read somewhere that leaving the various grounds tied is often a good idea in order to minimize ESD headaches. The author suggested using a very thin, narrow connection at one single point on chip
to minimize noise coupling, for instance in between the analog and digital sections on a mixed-signal chip. However, this seems to be problematic for two reasons:

1. There is still coupling of noise from digital to analog despite the large impedance (inductive) at high frequencies
which a narrow line presents. I think it would still be relatively small and allow sufficient noise injection.

2. The thin metal connection surely does not allow enough ESD protection as the peak current capability is limited. Let is consider that such a connection is <5um wide and say 100um long.

How then can one minimize the number of power domains while still getting minimum noise coupling? Or alternatively, how does one achieve sufficient ESD protection ?

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2006, 8:14am

I think we are going in circles a bit here.

If you can be a lot more specific about what you have perhaps we can be of help.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2006, 2:01am

Hi Jerry,

I am making a chip with some digital (~25%) and some very sensitive analog, and would like
to use separate supply/grounds for analog and digital, and all in all, I have 1 very quiet analog
domain, 1 switching analog domain (a bit noisy) and a very noisy digital domain.

Now, in order to ensure that ESD does not destroy the chip, I must connect all the substrate/grounds
of various domains together. This connection could be a short, a diode, or something else (your suggestion).
It's resistance should be small enough to allow large ESD currents to flow through it, which implies that
this connection has to be very large and low-ohmic. Will this not defeat the whole purpose of separating
various power domains?

What is the best thing to do? I need ESD protection more to protect the device and to get it to work at its best analog performance, and don't have to worry about meeting any specific ESD specs.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2006, 11:41am

I am going to take a shot at this thread and try not to repeat what anyone has already stated as there are many good reponses here.

My thoughts or "rule of thumb", take them with a grain of salt:

There is no right # of domains or max # either, I have built padrings for large mixed-signal products that had upwards of 50 separate domains (don't ask..not my preference).

The trick is ensuring that everyone has an low impedance path for large ESD currents from any domain to any other domain.

It is best to avoid trying to tie all domains to each other using b2b diode, layout becomes a nightmare and it is not a good ESD approach.

Do not attempt to diode connect power supplies together, especially in a part with mixed voltages and different power down modes unless you are absolutely positve that you understand every potential user implementation your customers will dream up.

The solution to these SoC products is to pick the largest 'substrate' ground domain on the product and use that domian as the common ESD node.

All grounds must have b2b diode'S' to the large substrate ground.  (layout and placement is critical here).

All powers must have excellent clamping to their respective grounds.  if this is true than those respective grounds will pass ESD currents to the rest of the chip through their b2b diodes to the primary substrate ground and there will be no further need to clamp different power supplies to each other and complicate your power down modes.

This also helps with leakage as you will have no b2b diode with voltages on them, the only b2b will be between grounds where the voltage potential will likley be ~0v across the diode.

Regarding noise: I have seen many of loose-electrons comments on noise on these boards and I very much like his approach.  Few people really understand noise and many people have an unhealthly paranoia in trying to avoid it. Loose_electrons previous comment is correct..study the parasitics and do the analysis.

...Now please forgive me this very crude hand analysis example, but I feel it makes the point correctly.
If I have a b2b diode with 0.7pF of capacitance (this is a large conservative number mind you), it will ideally act as an 45 ohms impedance to a 5Ghz signal.  however if my ground impedance for my supplies on either side of the diode is say 2 ohms at 5Ghz (bond wire, metal resistance etc etc),  than any noise coupling across the diode is divided down between 45 ohms into 2 ohms (-27dB..of whatever noise is coupled), and this is at 5Ghz, its much lower as frequency lowers, I am not even taking into account the PSRR ratio of my individual blocks and so forth.  Now if you are desiging an LNA on an integrated baseband RF chip, 27 dB may not be enough, but for most applications, including analog PLL and oscillators it very well maybe.
Alot also depends on how much actual noise is generated on your noisy supplies. (25mV attentuated by 27dB is very different from 500mV attentuated by 27dB)
Basically, do the analysis before you panick about ESD noise coupling is what I am saying.

If your noise anlysis shows that you may be better off with grounds shorted together..do it!  Sometimes when you short multiple grounds together the overall noise actually lowers as the overall impedance for that larger ground domain is lowered; as it becomes larger and takes advantage or more pins/bondwire/decoupling, etc offchip.

On another note, do not muck around with trying to tailor the ESD connections for large inductive isolation.  Remeber that CDM ESD currents have enegy high into the GHz range, any inductive isolation will isolate those enegrgies as well and nullify your ESD structures.  It is a very bad practice to inductively isolate ESD structures if you want to pass CDM type events (which face it, are more reflective of todays manufacturing enviroment.)

I will stop here...

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2006, 12:38pm

Hi SRF,
i like your last post, except that bondwires at 5GHz are a lot higher impedance than 2ohm (1mm~1nH...) so getting high frequncy noise offchip through low impedance rather than coupling them across domains with diodes isn;t always easy...  but i agree with the fact that analysis is much better than blind paranoia.
I think additionally good layout design can help ESD (good placement of substrate contacts) and minimise circuit crosstalk (sub rings of seperate domains isolated by with n rings or trench (nice if you have it) etc.)... then if you do this you can tolerate a chip ring connecting some grounds together for ESD robustness purposes, beacuse you can simulate that ok (knowing any substrate noise coupling etc. is secondary in severity to the chip ring, so you don't get boged down into substrate mesh simulations etc).
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2006, 1:39pm

ACWong,
Thank you for the comment.  In light of your correction, I feel I should have better explained the background from where I was drawing my example.
 I used 2 ohms to represent the entire power domain (though I should have written 'bondwire' as plural 'bondwires', my mistake), as I have seen such impedances when I had domains with either many bondwires or flipchip with many bumps.  In many of the modern packages I also typically have bondires that are usually less than 0.5mm (~15 ohms@5Ghz per bondwire), especially in small MMAP, QFN, QFP or BGA packages.  I especially like QFN as all the grounds are down bonded thru real short wires to the die flag.
If I was trying to model a domain with a single bondwire, than yes, 2 ohms is way off base.

Either way 2 ohms may or may not be reasonable example for a situation, so it goes back to what we both have emphasized... do the analysis.

On a side note I will second your comment on good layout techniques.  That can not be stressed enough.  Designers would do well to heed your advice there.

Regards,
SRF

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.