The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:31am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spectremdl and the future ... (Read 2339 times)
svenn

Does it have to be
legal?

Germany
spectremdl and the future ...
Aug 17th, 2006, 9:37am

Hi,
I experience a severe performance problem with OCEAN and have chosen to experiment with spectre and spectremdl on the command line to be able to get some simulation results faster. I see that the spectremdl internal functions are a bit better documented in the MMSIM stream than it was in whatever the old one was named. For a while wavescan informs me that SKILL is now the default mode when it starts and I forget that -expr mdl. This make me wonder a bit about the future of the mdl simulator scripting feature. Will Cadence drop it eventually and force users to script everything in SKILL?

Svenn
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: spectremdl and the future ...
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2006, 3:44pm

Hi Svenn,

No. SpectreMDL is alive and well, and being enhanced. Lots of customers are using it. So it is not going away.

When wavescan was integrated into ADE, the decision was taken that trying to translate existing SKILL (or OCEAN) expressions to MDL was too hard - and so there are two calculator modes, SKILL and MDL.

The trouble was that the majority of users expected wavescan to have the same syntax in ADE as standalone, so the default was changed.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: spectremdl and the future ...
Reply #2 - Aug 30th, 2006, 1:21am

of course a big problem with mdl is that its not an open standard..

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.