The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 3:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The peak current and vias number (Read 693 times)
dandelion
Community Member

The peak current and vias number
Aug 21st, 2006, 2:50am

Hi,
I have a question on the vias number and peak current.

I am designing an output inverter to drive cap load. To drive this load, the peak current is high up to ~100mA when trasistion. I found the max static current for the vias of the drain and source region is ~1mA per via. Obviously, I can not put 100 vias to tolerate this 100mA current.Then this instant current will affect the long term reliability of the device?

I know, for the VDD/GND metal width, the width is dertermined by the avarage cuurent in WCS,instead of the peak current. Is it also applicable to the VIAS?

In this case, should I put more fringers to loose the current burden?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: The peak current and vias number
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2006, 1:54pm

Most foundry processes will state a min-max resistance for the vias.

Given that, you should probably determine how much additive resistance at the via point you can tolerate.

With those items in hand, you can determine the number of vias.

Also, if it is a high current design, you should probably be keeping track of the metal path resistance, it tends to add up quickly.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: The peak current and vias number
Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2006, 2:45pm

dandelion wrote on Aug 21st, 2006, 2:50am:
Hi,
I have a question on the vias number and peak current.

I am designing an output inverter to drive cap load. To drive this load, the peak current is high up to ~100mA when trasistion. I found the max static current for the vias of the drain and source region is ~1mA per via. Obviously, I can not put 100 vias to tolerate this 100mA current.Then this instant current will affect the long term reliability of the device?

I know, for the VDD/GND metal width, the width is dertermined by the avarage cuurent in WCS,instead of the peak current. Is it also applicable to the VIAS?

In this case, should I put more fringers to loose the current burden?

Thanks

From the aspect of lifetime/electronmigration the foundry should supply you with the max static DC current the vias can take (to guarantee x thousand hours at y degree C etc.) The figure for rms current is usually lower.
So from the aspect of peak-current, i wouldn't try to meet the rules for the peak current requirement... just meet the static reuirements.
Anyway in real layout (with resistance of tracks and vias, sub R etc.) and real PCB placement (non-ideal caps, non-zero Rs power supply etc.) the current is unlikely to peak at the same level as seen in a simulation with "ideal" sources, drives and other components. Distributed filtering effects of track parasitics are likely to limit any "spike" current as much as finite source impedance for the supply and non-ideal capacitors.
Nevertheless, you should definately consider thinking carefully about the physical no. of fingers and the best way to access the sources/drains to minimise current crowding in vias etc. and to account for the layout effects of track & via resistance. I think nice big/evenly distributed well contacts are probably in order as well if your switching large currents... see Alan Hastings' excellent book "the art of analog layout".

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.