The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 8:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Receiver Noise Figure (Read 4034 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Receiver Noise Figure
Sep 04th, 2006, 1:26am

Hi everybody,

i have a question receiver noise figure. Basically I have a system which looks like this:

--------------LNA------|--------------|-------I+   }NF
                  |                             | Double Bal |_____I-    }
Port-----Ideal Balun                     |     Quad     |
                  |                             |     Mixer     |-------Q+
                  --------------LNA------|--------------|_____Q-

hope that primitive drawing helps. Simple anyway. Anyway I want to calculate the required Input Referred Noise (IRN) of the IF blocks. My LNA/Mixer combination has a gain of 17.4 dB in simulation and a noise figure of 9 dB when simulated across I+ and I- (differential output). The 9 dB is a SSB NF result. Here's my calculation

NFsystem = 19 dB
Input Noise (50 ohm) = 4kTR = 8.004 e -19 V2/Hz
LNAMixer Output Noise due to source = Input Noise * Gain(LNAMixer) = 4.44 e-17 V2/Hz            (A)
LNAMixer Output Noise = A * NFLNA = 3.53 e-16 V2/Hz                                                     (B)
Required IRN at LNA output = NFsystem * A = 3.53 e-15V2/Hz                                            (C)
IRN of IF Block = √(C – B) = 56 nV/√Hz

So what i've done is calculated the noise at the output port of the LNA/Mixer with the LNA NF and then the same noise with the system NF and taken the difference. The result is my required IRN of the IF blocks. I decided to double check this result by adding ideal resistors to the output ports (I+, I-, Q+, Q-) with the other end left as an open circuit. I then simulated the system NF again and swept R until the NF was 19 dB. I found this R to be 25 kohm. Since I have 2 Rs for a differential output, the total noise is sqrt(2*4ktR)=sqrt(2*4*1.28e-23*290*25000)=28 nV/√Hz which is obviously not what i calculated. Can anybody offer any insight as to why my calculation is so off? Here's a pic of how i resimulated the NF.

I used the PSS and PNOISE analysis in spectre to simulate the nosie figure.

IF+--------R-------open circuit  } NF
IF----------R-------open circuit  }

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Receiver Noise Figure
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2006, 2:31am

Your problem is you have the wrong amount of input noise.... the available noise power from a conjugately matched input (ie your LNA input) is kT, ie 4e-21 watts @ 290k.
So th input noise should be 2e-19 V2/Hz on your first line....

please see p18 of the following reference for detailed explanation.

cheers

alan

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2006, 2:32am

opps, classic mistake i forgot to add the link... p18 of

http://kabuki.eecs.berkeley.edu/~jrudell/papers/specs/gsms6.pdf

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2006, 8:58am

thanks,

yeah i see... learn something new every day Smiley

thanks for the paper too

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2006, 9:50am

Its my pleasure...

with regards to the paper, it covers the system design and noise, gain linearity lineup of RFIC transceivers very well.
I recommend it to anyone who whats to do receiver system design, it provides the bridge between RF guys who use power based Friis Equation to practical IC design where one uses voltage gain and volatge noise. The subject coverage is better than i've seen in any book.... in fact i've based many successful designs upon it !

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.