The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO with buffer (Read 6763 times)
grosser
Community Member

LDO with buffer
Sep 04th, 2006, 7:24am

hello again

Sorry for so many questions about LDO.

I want to use LDO with buffer configuration.

For my spec Vin=1.3V Vref=0.8V  i can't use simple source follower with NMOS or PMOS input.

I thought about using ompamp in buffer configuration, but it also is not enough, because for high load, power transistor's gate is low and buffer's input transistor are off.

I don't want to use a rail to rail configuration. What else can i do?

regards

ldo_buffer.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Raul
Community Member

San Jose, CA.
Re: LDO with buffer
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2006, 2:57pm

I'm surprised that you can't power the error amp and buffer from a higher supply than 1.3V. Usually depending on battery technology(Li-Ion) you get a minimum of 2.5 V and the 1.3 V would only be used at the source of the PMOS power fet to reduce power dissipation on chip and improve efficiency. By the way, 1.3 V is pretty low headroom for the PMOS power fet over temperature, process corners and load current. I would ask for clarification about this VIN=1.3 V spec first. You may need an NMOS LDO for these very low VIN level if the load current is very high.
With 0.8 V reference and VIN=1.3 you can't use NMOS inputs or PMOS inputs. You would need to have low-vt NMOS devices.
The buffer needs to be rail-to-rail input/output to turn-off the fet during no-load conditions and hot temp with fast(strong) P. Your only other choice is to drive the gate of the PMOS power fet directly from the error amplifier and figure out a slew-rate boost circuit to drive the fet. Your AC loop characteristics would then be mostly dominated by the Cgd of the PMOS power fet which ties your hands to get PSRR over bandwidth.

regards, Raul Perez
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2006, 2:52pm

The rail to rail structure with a double set of differenential pairs, that controls an AB complementary OTA output driver.

The double diff pair gets you rail-2-rail on the input  The AB OTA output gets you rail to rail on the output.

Go for it!!!

Cheesy

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Raul
Community Member

San Jose, CA.
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2006, 2:21pm

The rail-to-rail buffer needs to be wide bandwidth or else you're not going to able to stabilize the system. I would keep the buffer one-stage of gain and use other circuit techniques that will improve the output swing of a simple folded-cascode. You're driving a gate capacitance so you don't really need a two stage.
This kind of design gets interesting due the load current dynamic bandwidth requirements vs. efficiency. If you can clarify specs first to see if you really need to design something this fancy that would be the best way to go.
I've designed this things many times before, for the right price i can do it for you.
Good luck.

regards, Raul Perez
View Profile   IP Logged
ccd

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2006, 4:13pm

Hi.  I don't understand the need for the unity-gain buffer.  Is the error amplifier's slew rate too slow to drive the large pmos?

View Profile   IP Logged
grosser
Community Member

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2006, 12:52am

Raul wrote on Oct 5th, 2006, 2:57pm:
I'm surprised that you can't power the error amp and buffer from a higher supply than 1.3V. Usually depending on battery technology(Li-Ion) you get a minimum of 2.5 V and the 1.3 V would only be used at the source of the PMOS power fet to reduce power dissipation on chip and improve efficiency. By the way, 1.3 V is pretty low headroom for the PMOS power fet over temperature, process corners and load current. I would ask for clarification about this VIN=1.3 V spec first.

it's not my idea, it's just specification. it is used in a system which regulates its vdd itself to reduce power loss

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.