The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transmission line in Cadence (Read 6768 times)
mobil

Australia
Transmission line in Cadence
Sep 04th, 2006, 6:00pm

Hi All,

Currently, I've concerned the design in GHz level, and have to consider about transmission line effection. We often
use the 'singlewire' component that's from IBM tech. model to simulation in the schematic (as shown in pic.)

But the question is when I'm doing layout, it is hardly to put the 'singlewire' everywhere such as in schematic, because
of the area restrication. So I'm afraid the postlayout simulation won't be very accurate. Does anyone know whether Cadence
can simulate transmission line effection in postlayout simulation to solve the problem above? Thank you.

post.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Transmission line in Cadence
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2006, 1:33am

As far as I am aware Cadence post layout extraction (Assura or diva) cannot extract inductance, and hence cannot extract transmission line effects.

Why can't you just shorten the length of the IBM modelled "singlewire" (i guessing this must be the new incarnation of the "indline" model they used to use).

To do things properly, you would need to use another tool to extract the layout tracks in terms of transmission lines.
Anyway what is your frequency and how long are your tracks ? you might invest a lot of work for little actual performance change to your circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2006, 7:00am

Actually Assura-RCX has the "PL" option (for extraction of Parasitic Inductance), and the "HF" option which extracts the substrate (so can more accurately model any substrate return path with inductors/transmission lines). These are additional options on top of Assura-RCX. There's a bundle, Assura-RF which includes RCX, PL, HF and FS (the capacitance field solver).

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mobil

Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2006, 3:13am

Hi all,

sorry for responsing late, yes, as Andrew said, the best way is to buy licenses of the Cadence for RCX,
but considering I'm in the University, we will only pay for the RCL extraction licenses, hopefully it's useful.

Also, other tools can extract inductor effects I heard is Ansoft Link for Virtuoso Or RFDE.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
jerrymelb

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2006, 2:38pm

Hi, guys

Just wonder how accurate RLCK extraction is?

Can the results be trusted?

Thans!

View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2006, 7:13am

Jerry,
 My experience has been that the extraction tools are only as good as the technology files and process parameters fed to them.  Generally they do a good job but I have found that they rely on several parameters of the process technology that sometimes get skimped on or overlooked by the foundary.  So as long as you trust that the foundary has modeled/measured many of the process paramters critical for your extraction tool and have not used simple default values, you can expect that the tool will be reasonably accurate.

Generally they do a good job for the RC, its sometimes they miss paramters critical for the K and especially the L.
-SRF

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.