The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 5:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which one is better from the jitter point (Read 2524 times)
dandelion
Community Member

Which one is better from the jitter point
Sep 05th, 2006, 7:26pm

Hi,
Pls. take a look at the attached diagram. It is in fact a mixed mode circui which amplified a weak signal and buffer it to a digital CMOS/TTL level. The only descrapancy of two figures are the cascaded amp satge, two stage versus four stage.Except the numbers of stages, all others are same, the amp stage is same,buffer is same and the laod cap is same also.

The transient analysis show that these two topology gave the same output signal, i.e.,the rise/fall time,duty cycles etc...

But I have some concern on the jitter performance, because I did it with transient analysis, I can not evaluate the noise performance. What do you think which one gives the better jitter performance?

My opnion is the Fig.2 would have better jitter performance. That's because , the SNR from Fig.2 at the output from the fourth amp stage is better than that from output of second samp satge of Fig.1.

Pls. comments.
Thanks

cmos_gain_stage.GIF
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Which one is better from the jitter point
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2006, 1:59am

John,

I prefer Figure 1, because it achieves the same output (rising/falling time) using only 2 amps and one buffer. I think it is digital output, so SNR is not a problem. The less amps/buffers introduce less thermal noise and switching-induced jitter.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Which one is better from the jitter point
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2006, 1:21pm

This is something that you could use the "jitter" (or "timedomain" - aka "strobed") noise mode of SpectreRF's pnoise analysis to investigate. Of course, if you don't have SpectreRF, you can't  :'(

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.