The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 2:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why Sigma Delta Modulator for Frac N can OverLoad? (Read 3090 times)
email_gz

gaoz.mail@gmail.com
Why Sigma Delta Modulator for Frac N can OverLoad?
Sep 05th, 2006, 7:48pm

Dear All:
        I think that SC Sigma Delta Modulator for  AD  OverLoad because quantizer overload  and SC integrator output swing limited and then SNDR drop.  Are these right?
       But why Digital Sigma Delta Modulator for Fraction N Divider can OverLoad,and then SNDR drop?

thank all very much

View Profile email_gz email_gz   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: Why Sigma Delta Modulator for Frac N can OverL
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2006, 11:04pm

There could be 2 reasons:

1. The noise shaping filter does not have the right number of bits in each register or numeric stage. So wrap over clip happen for some situations.

2. If the order of the sigma-delta is higher and a multi-modulus divider is used the number distribution could approach the division range. So the number distribution get clipped from one side. That impact the noise shaping.

View Profile   IP Logged
timmc6

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2006, 4:21pm

I am currently design a digital Sigma Delta for a Frac N PLL and I saw that if the accumulator size is not large enough, there will be an error when it tries to wrap around.  For example, if your required MOD value is 128, and you have a 3rd order MASH architecture, it is possible that the last accumulator will need to hold a value of 256.  So the required accumulator size would be 8 bits instead of 7 to hold a maximum value of 256.  If 7 bits are used and the accumulator needs to hold something larger than 128, it will wrap around and not generate a carry, throwing off the whole SD operation.  Hope this helps.

Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
email_gz

gaoz.mail@gmail.com
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2006, 6:41pm

thank rf-design, timmc6 very much ! Your answers are very helpful to me !  But I still have some puzzles.
     Does  the accumulator wrap around mean that the adder output is overflow? Is this equivalence  quantizer overload?
    Does The digital Sigma Delta for a Frac N PLL  operate in 2's complementary binary code or in unsigned binary code ?
    If we use the adder's carry bit to control the MMD, so the average output approach our Fractional divider target. For a 7 bit unsigned adder has 7 bit unsigned input , 8bit unsigned output(MSB is carry bit), so I think the 8bit result can guarantee  holding a value of 256, and the MSB carry bit can control the MMD.

View Profile email_gz email_gz   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.