The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
injection locking (Read 3583 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

injection locking
Sep 12th, 2006, 5:57pm

Hi all,

does anybody have any good resources or a good explanation of injection locking in Oscillators? I've found formulae on the locking range but all papers i've read so far seem to take for granted that it works. Does anybody know why?

Aaron

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2006, 11:50pm by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: injection locking
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2006, 3:05am

View Profile   IP Logged
mobil

Australia
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2006, 8:28pm

Yes, that's Razavi's paper is quite good! And I know a PhD thesis about that, which is

http://bwrc.eecs.berkeley.edu/Publications/2004/THESIS/BLimketkai/BLimketkaiPhdT...

if you like maths and non-linear analysis method very much.

This paper is alos very good:

H.R.Rategh and T. H. Lee,
     ``Superharmonic injection-locked frequency dividers,"
     \emph{IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits}, vol. 34, pp. 813-821,
     June 1999.

But I suppose the result they've got are very similar.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICInDaHouse

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2006, 8:31pm

yeah, all injection-locked frequency dividers, injection-locked oscillators have the same operation and was derived by Miller in the 1940s! (He actually proposed the regenerative frequency divider). In principle, an oscillator running at f0, can be injection locked to an external stimulus at f0 +/- df, where df is the locking bandwidth. The locking bandwidth has its origion in satisfying Barkausen's criterion. As you move away from the resonant frequency, the load impedanance goes down and so does the loop gain. That's why the higher the tank Q, the faster the tank impedance will drop, and the smaller the locking bandwidth..... I don't like the math of it, after all we are engineers! and we seek intuition.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.