The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 8th, 2024, 8:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any Guide for Dummy in Coding Verilog A ? (Read 7962 times)
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Any Guide for Dummy in Coding Verilog A ?
Sep 13th, 2006, 1:51am

Dear ALL,

This may sound a bit stupid. I'm trying to look for a simple guide to start to code a model using verilog A.

How should i go about doing it?

1.Which compiler is easy to use? Anyone that is free/window-based?
2.There are quite a number of models available for download(a good starting point), how to view it in Cadence or Mentor's tool?

That's to help me to kick start the learning curve. Thanks.

View Profile gilbertsee   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Any Guide for Dummy in Coding Verilog A ?
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2006, 5:15am

Best starting point is an existing model.  Find something close to what you need to build.

Are you doing a device model, like a diode?  Or a gate-level model?

I've never used anything but a text editor to view the model ... not quite sure what you want to see.  There is a company (Lynguent) that is developing a GUI for model development.

What simulator are you going to run it in?  The question about a compiler is probably not relevant - you don't really want to see the C code produced by the compiler, you want the compiled object to run in your simulator.  Spectre comes with a compiler; last I heard, Eldo's compiler required a special license.

There is an open-source, Win32-based compiler called ADMS, but you need special scripts to convert the output for your favorite simulator, and then you need the license for the C modeling interface.  So, I don't think this is what you want.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2006, 10:41am

I'd suggest looking at Papers on the BMAS website www.bmas-conf.org..
but if you want the EASY way - signup for the Cadence class.
by the end you'll have written 3 or four models.

jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2006, 4:25am

Quote:
Are you doing a device model
Yes, i'm doing a MOSFET model similar to the one of MOS11.

Quote:
What simulator are you going to run it in?  The question about a compiler is probably not relevant - you don't really want to see the C code produced by the compiler, you want the compiled object to run in your simulator.  Spectre comes with a compiler; last I heard, Eldo's compiler required a special license.

At this point of time, i have access to Cadence's product. Therefore, i assume i will run in spectre. But, before i finished all my coding(/my model), i would like to view some of the (intermediate)results for debugging...like checking whether the internal function behaviors are right or not....

I'm looking some software/tool that allows me to probe the internal function behavior for debugging purposes. I have all the equations ready in Matlab, but now need to code it in Verilog-A so that i can connect to simulator.

I should check the ADMS up, till then...Thanks....

Mighty Mouse
Community Member

Here I come to save
the day!

Fantasyland
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2006, 7:35am

Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but there is also Ken's book on Verilog-AMS: http://www.designers-guide.org/Books/dg-vams/index.html. It has a whole chapter dedicated to introducing and teaching Verilog-A.

- MM -

View Profile   IP Logged
337see733
Community Member

Singapore
Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2006, 7:51pm

Yes..reading that book.  ;D

lrc

Grrr....

U.S.A
Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2006, 7:23am

You can find plenty examples of verilog-A in:
$CDSHOME/dfII/samples/artist/spectreHDL/Verilog-A

The reference doc in CDSDOC is useful material.  Good Luck.   Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2006, 4:24am

337see733 wrote on Sep 14th, 2006, 4:25am:
Yes, i'm doing a MOSFET model similar to the one of MOS11.

Then you should look at the MOS11 Verilog-A code on this web site (click on the Verilog-AMS link in the upper right).

Quote:
At this point of time, i have access to Cadence's product. Therefore, i assume i will run in spectre. But, before i finished all my coding(/my model), i would like to view some of the (intermediate)results for debugging...like checking whether the internal function behaviors are right or not....

I'm looking some software/tool that allows me to probe the internal function behavior for debugging purposes. I have all the equations ready in Matlab, but now need to code it in Verilog-A so that i can connect to simulator.

In spectre, any variables at module scope are available for plotting with "save M1:all" (assuming M1 is the instance name of your Verilog-A model).  Also, spectre supports the $debug() system task so you can print out values of internal variables during the iterations.

-Geoffrey

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:17am

Also don't forget that cadence ADE has the AHDL Debugger - so you can step thru the operation of your model.
For AMS - the simvision Gui can be used the same way.
I'm still looking for a free simulator that supports verilogA/AMS
specifically for student use.
Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.