The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High speed OTA (Read 4544 times)
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
High speed OTA
Sep 27th, 2006, 5:26am

Hi all,

It appears to me that most high speed CMOS OTA like the one utilized in pipeline ADC (sampling rate > 100MHz) are usually implemented as single stage OTA such as folder cascode coupled with other tricks like gain boost, rather than 2-stage. My understanding is that compensation cap in the 2 stage structure will slow down the speed regardless of what kind of compensation is being used and therefore more power needs to be burned to increase the speed. I try to design some high speed 2 stage OTA before, but I found that at some point, burning more power will not really increase the speed without compromising the stability, I think that has something to do with the parasitic capacitance.

Is anybody here experienced in designing high speed OTA? Especially 2 stage OTA. I would really appreciate if someone can share his/her experience on the design, such as what is limitation? How fast (in terms of gain bandwidth product or unity gain frequency) can an OTA given a particular process?

Thanks and Regards,
chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
Sarig

Re: High speed OTA
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2006, 2:04pm

Hi,
First you need to look at output Cap. and Gain which you need, maybe 1 stage is fine for you ?
Mainly your output Cap will limit you for a given supply current. we are missing here numbers.
Sarig

View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2006, 6:03pm

Hi,

My concern is that single stage normally will not able to provide large voltage swing. I would think it is very crucial to increase signal to noise ratio especially when supply is becoming lower and lower.

Thanks,
chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:02am

Well, you need to first put some specifications down. What supply voltage you are on, what speed you are looking at etc ? Output swing, Gain etc will decide btw 1-stage or 2-stage. In 2-stage you can use a class-AB output stage for improved slew rate.

Hope this helps.

KR,
Faisal

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:11am

Hi Faisal,

Would you give me an example, a paper, a patent, or any literature else, to show an amplifier with class-AB output stage that is used in a pipelined ADC? It is interesting.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Faisal
Community Member

Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:49am

Hi,  

A 1.8-V digital-audio sigma-delta modulator in 0.8-μm CMOS from Rabii, S.; Wooley, B.A.;

A low-voltage low-power fast-settling operational amplifier for use in high-speed high-resolution pipelined A/D converters: Lotfi, R.; Shoaei, O.;

KR,
Faisal

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2006, 2:59pm

Guys:

Two comments -

1. Google it - a lot of folks post their papers online.

2. Get a copy of the IEEE JSSC and search that database. If you are a memeber you can get the whole thing on DVD for about $80 USD.

jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.