The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 10:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NOIMOD in weak inversion (Read 3067 times)
Sarig

NOIMOD in weak inversion
Sep 29th, 2006, 2:11pm

Hello,
What is more accurate for noise in weak inversion :
NOIMOD=2 or NOIMOD=3

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: NOIMOD in weak inversion
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:30am

NOIMOD=3 uses the "SPICE2" thermal noise model (8/3 kT (gm + gds + gmbs) and NOIMOD=2 uses the "BSIM3" thermal noise model (based on Qinv).  Both use the same "unified" flicker noise model.

I would expect that the BSIM3 model is "better" than the Spice2 model, simply because it was developed later.  I will also point out that NOIMOD=6 updates the SPICE2 noise model with an extra factor in BSIM3v3.3 which was released last summer.  The extra factor is 1.0 in saturation, but can be up to 1.5 in the linear region.

I don't have any comments specific to weak inversion.  Sorry.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
David Lee

Re: NOIMOD in weak inversion
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2006, 3:06pm

The inversion charge-based thermal noise model (NOIMOD=2) should be more accurate.
Have a look at the excellent book by Tsividis, "Operation and Modeling of the MOS Transistor".
Chapter 8.5.3 is a section on thermal noise modeling, and discusses weak inversion operation in particular.

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.