The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CMOS Gilbert cell with current bleeding : IIP3 (Read 112 times)
Prabhu

CMOS Gilbert cell with current bleeding : IIP3
Oct 07th, 2006, 1:12pm

I am designing a double balanced Gilbert cell with current bleeding to increase the conversion gain and to reduce flicker noise, to use smaller switches .

My problem is this:

Every one says that linearity of a Gilbert cell is primarily determined by the linearity of the transconductor.
In my design, the transconductor alone has IIP3 = -10 dBm.
Overdrive of the switches = 50 mV, LO drive = 0.2 V peak single ended.
I_bleeding = 0.5 * I_transconductor.
But my mixer IIP3 = -18 dBm.
If the switches switch properly, they should not affect the linearity.
What could be the reason for this IIP3 degradation?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: CMOS Gilbert cell with current bleeding : IIP3
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2006, 4:28am

I would probably look at whats going on at the transconductor drains, to enusre you aren't going into triode. Easiest thing to do is to increase Vbias to the LO quad, and increase vdd in your simulation to see if there is an improvement.

Also for sanity you should conifrm the small signal gain is as expected (~gm*Zload*(2/pi)) and that the compression of the transconductor is similar to that of the full mixer. Doing this could save you time in debugging your problem before having to  waste time consuming IIP3 simulations...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.