The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 1:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Random voltage offset (Read 3440 times)
bharat
Community Member

Random voltage offset
Oct 10th, 2006, 12:35pm

I am looking for good paper/material for voltage offset.

I am not sure how the followings are related: systematic offset, random offset, input referred offset. Can I say systematic offset and input referred offset are part of random offset ?
Please correct me, if I am not:
Systematic Offset: It is due to geometry/dimension (Width as well as Length) mismatch of the devices during fabrication.
Input Referred Offset: It is due to doping concentration variation of the diffusion, oxide thickness varition which results in Vth variation
The combination of above two is called 'random offset' ??
If so, what offset the simulator shows (without adding any Vth variation of channel lenght variation), what is that offset. Is it random/systematic/input referred

Thanks
-Bharat

View Profile   IP Logged
SATurn
Community Member

Re: Random voltage offset
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2006, 1:39pm

You can have a look on Prof. Sansen's textbook (Analog CMOS Design). Just I would like to add that systematic offset comes from some kind of asymmetry in your circuit even if all devices are well matched. For example different Vds of two NMOS current sources. So, when you run the simulator in normal condition (not statistical simulation), what you see is just systematic offset.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Random voltage offset
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2006, 1:34pm

Let me propose some definitons here --  8-)

Systematic Offset: Due to the circuit design characteristics, with all circuit elements perfectly defined as the ideal element model. All thresholds exactly the same, all currents exactly the same for 2 transistors of the same size. Two 1K resistors are both equalt to 1000.00000 ohms. An op-amp with low open loop gain, will have a systematic offsets due top the fact that the ideal op-amp has infinite gain.

Random Offset: Due to non-ideal circuit elements. Slightly different drain currents between two "identical" transisotrs. The 2 resistors one being 999 ohms and the other being 1004 ohms.

Input Referred Offset: Take all the sources of offset and mismatch. Sum up all their effects and approximate it as an equivalent number at the input of the system. Similar to "input referred noise" in thinking.

Hope that helps -
Jerry
Cool

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.