The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation of voltage offset of the comparator (Read 3147 times)
bharat
Community Member

Simulation of voltage offset of the comparator
Oct 10th, 2006, 12:48pm

In my comparator design, the spec for bandwidth is very high or the absolute delay from datain to dataout is very less. To acheieve this I ended up using minimum channel length of the devices. Now running the dc sweep simulation for offset I am getting very low offset value. and running statistical tool for offset and looking its 3sigma value is well within the specs and it hard to believe on the results.
Now my concern is: is there simulation to silicon mismatch OR the process is still not matured? because text book (common theory) says that lesser channel length will result higher offset.

Also, apart from DC sweep method of calculatiing offset, what if I give one of the input as Vref (reference voltage) and the other one as very slow rising/falling signal (say 1v/ms) and see how the output is toggling in transient response? Hence calculate the offset. Whether this method is more accurate? If so, why?

-Bharat

View Profile   IP Logged
SATurn
Community Member

Re: Simulation of voltage offset of the comparator
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2006, 1:10pm

Regarding to statistical simulations; please remind that tool considers the total transistor area (not just the transistor length) to estimate the statistical parameters. Must probably the area of your device is quite large. Of course, it is important also that if you have splitted the proposed deivces to smaller ones or not.  I would suggest to check the process documentation to investigate how it is exactly modeled.

I think also "DC sweep + MonteCarlo" would be quite accurate for this purpose and you don't need to run the "time consuming" transient simulations.

View Profile   IP Logged
mosman

china
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2006, 11:40pm

it is true for "less device, less mismatch". consider the layout and tapeout if using less dimension device the comp will suffer from matching-problem. there is tradeoff between speed and offset.

regarding of offset simulation the dc and slow tran sweep will get the same results. but the tran must be very very slow. basically the dc is the first choice.

View Profile mosman   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2006, 10:40pm

What foundry and foundry process is this on?

Also, get from the foundry the lab data taken from silicon to determine the mismatch of the devices.

Foundry models can have a lot of problems in accuracy here.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.