The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:14am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
do i need read all of the microwave engineering (Read 1887 times)
calven

do i need read all of the microwave engineering
Oct 12th, 2006, 9:17am

dear,
i spend most of my time learning analog IC,while i paid little attention to electromagneti wave.now i am a graduate student learning RFIC,i find that the book written by thomas lee mentions little knowledge of electromagneti wave ,and the book named microwave engineering ( david m pozar) is too thick and difficult for me.
do i need read all chapters of the microwave engineering ?thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: do i need read all of the microwave engineerin
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2006, 3:40am

Probably no need to get too involved in electromagnetic wave stuff/hardcore microwave for RFIC circuits at <5GHz. So and analogue IC background is good, as is Tom Lee's book. I would also recommend Razavi's RF microelectronics.
It is though very useful to have at least an undergraduate understanding of em waves (transmission lines, standing waves etc.) and of scattering parameters (s parameters) for effectcive practical RFIC design. For LNA/PA design its more important to be familiar with matching (conjugate, noise, noise gain circles, stability criteron, Gain (stable, available etc) which is best understood using s-parameters. Idon;t know Pozar, but recommend Chris Bowick's RF Design as a gentle intro to s-parameters and matching, before tackling more indepth microwave engineering books.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.