The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Downconversion Problem (Read 2764 times)
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Downconversion Problem
Oct 15th, 2006, 5:46pm

Hi,

I am measuring a Zero IF RF receiver. I input -60dBm signal and see the downconverted signal at 5MHz in the output. However, the signal is noisy instead of a single tone when you look at the spectrum analyzer. I have not done any input matching yet just AC coupling the signal. Any idea what is going on? Is the circuit oscillating? Or should I match the input first?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Downconversion Problem
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2006, 2:38am

uncle_ezra wrote on Oct 15th, 2006, 5:46pm:
Hi,

I am measuring a Zero IF RF receiver. I input -60dBm signal and see the downconverted signal at 5MHz in the output. However, the signal is noisy instead of a single tone when you look at the spectrum analyzer. I have not done any input matching yet just AC coupling the signal. Any idea what is going on? Is the circuit oscillating? Or should I match the input first?

Thanks

When you say "noisy" on spectrum analyser, do you mean you get discreet side tones on a 5MHz main tone?

If so i guess you are into compression or limiting either intentionally (ie you are looking at a 5MHz square wave) or unintentionally (you are compressing in your chip somewhere, or at the analyser input).

Firstly ensure you are not overloading your SA input.
Then turn your input power down, if the sidetones are a result of compression, you should see them recede quickly as you reduce the input RF. Also ensure you have setup your chip gains correctly.

hope this helps
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.