The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stability issue (Read 3155 times)
rf_man

Stability issue
Oct 16th, 2006, 2:16am

Hi gurus,

Please see the attached bode plot of the loop gain of a certain circuit, it's made by spectre stb analysis.
From the plot, it can be seen that at 0db points, the loop phases are respectively 96 degrees and -100 degrees, so the phase margins are 276 degrees (or -84 degrees), -80 degrees, respectively, right? The phase margins are both greater than 60 degrees, therefore the loop should be stable. But from transient simulation, the circuit oscillates, what's wrong?

I don't have experience with stability issues, if the question is stupid, please don't laugh at me. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

sim.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Stability issue
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2006, 2:28am

your plot shows positive loop gain between point A and B, when the phase is 0, ie positive feedback... so you should expect your circuit to oscillate at a frequency between A&B (roughly where the phase crosses 0).

View Profile   IP Logged
rf_man

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2006, 3:06am

Thank you very much for your reply. But do you agree with me that the phase margins are both greater than 60 degrees?  So my conclusion is that in practice, we shouldn't always believe the phase margin, right?

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2006, 7:19am

please see vivkr comment in:
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1141283321/2#2

so blindly reading the PM number given in a stb is dangerous unless you inspect the full bode plot properly.

i think this forum has quite alot of good discussions re: phase margin, loop stability etc. use the search facility for more info.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.