The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:46pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
about the P1dB and IP3 (Read 3858 times)
jeetchu

about the P1dB and IP3
Oct 16th, 2006, 7:40am

I encountered problem for OIP3 and OP1dB with my circuit.

the circuit is just a RF amplifier.After get proper input and output impedance match,i use pss to get OP1dB and pss+pac to get OIP3.the result is  OP1dB is 12dBm,however,OIP3 is only 6dBm. the sweep range for OIP3 is  -40 to -20dBm, and the 3rd linear region is ok.i wonder why the OIP3 is so small.Would someone like to give me some help or suggestion?  Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: about the P1dB and IP3
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2006, 7:05am

very strange... have you confirmed the third order product level in a transient analysis matches your pss+pac analysis ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: about the P1dB and IP3
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2006, 9:25am

I agree with ACWWong, try to confirm your findings with a transient simulation.

Another approach is to check your testbench by replacing your device level model with a behavioral model. With the behavioral models, you can specify the compression point. You should see the IP3 9.6dB above the compression point. (Be sure to account for the 1dB difference between the input and output referred compression points. The output compresses but the input does not.)

Another thought is whether your model is truly dominated by a third order nonlinearity. The "10dB" difference between IP3 and compression only applies to a third order nonlinearity.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.