The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 8:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Effect of Flicker noise in SSB and DSB NF (Read 2202 times)
Prabhu

Effect of Flicker noise in SSB and DSB NF
Oct 18th, 2006, 10:58am

Hi,

I have a basic doubt regarding mixer ( Gilbert cell ) noise figure.
People say,
Typically NF ( SSB ) = 2*NF ( DSB )

I want to know if the above holds only for thermal noise or for flicker noise also.
Since the flicker noise at the mixer output is due to mechanisms entirely different from the thermal noise folding back from the signal band and the image band, I would think that the flicker noise contribution should be same in both NF ( SSB ) and NF ( DSB )  computation.

But when I plot the spot NF ( DSB ) and NF ( SSB ) of a  mixer in cadence , I find a 3 dB difference in the flicker noise region ( low freq. ) also.

Another question :

In considering the noise contribution from mixer transconductor and load in computing   NF ( DSB ) and NF ( SSB ),
I would think that the load should contribute equally in both the cases and
the transconductor should contribute twice in the SSB case.

Am I right ?

Prabhu

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: Effect of Flicker noise in SSB and DSB NF
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2006, 1:07am

It seems your logic is right about the flicker noise not being doubled since is not in the same band as the RF signal. However, the fact is that for DSB, you have double the signal level of SSB, therefore you will definately have a 3 dB better NF (SNRout/SNRin) than SSB. You have the same output noise but double the signal level Wink

Same applies to the transconductor point...

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.