The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 9:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
puzzeld by oscillation frequency value (Read 2199 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
puzzeld by oscillation frequency value
Oct 20th, 2006, 6:21am

When implementing a Hartley oscillator on a PCB board, using a BF199 TO-92 transistor and the rest 0805 inductors, resistors and capacitors the frequency of oscillation is only 1/5th of the expected value.
The same circuit simulated in Spectre using a model for the BF199 yields accurate results. Why is the frequency of oscillation so far off? Any ideas?

The picture shows the oscillator. The frequency is supposed to be around 200MHz with 6.8nH and 2.7nH for the inductors and 68pF for the capacitor. But as a PCB circuit it just under 50MHz.
BTW, the capacitor Cf, what should its value be? So far I always choose it such that its reactance is small compared to the reactance of L1.
Could it be the 0805 inductors? The data sheet gives a Q factor of 40 and a resistance of 0.2 Ohms.

Cheers

Graphic1_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: puzzeld by oscillation frequency value
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2006, 7:51am

heres a few things i might consider...
how about changing some values to see the delta freq. It'll tell you if fosc=1/2*pi*sqrt(LC) still holds...
how do you know what the frequency is ? are you loading with a scope probe or 50 ohm ? are you using a digital scope (if so make sure you are sampling enough) ?
Those 0805 inductors, did you check the value of L at 200MHz/ensure they aren't self resonant ? The  values of L are quite small for such big inductors... i think you'll need wirewound ones.
Cf... Cres are you using a low loss RF capacitor ?
is the current consumption right ?

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2006, 12:57am

Thanks for the feedback ACWWong.

>>How about changing some values to see the delta freq.?
I did, but could only change them by a little since I have only 2.7nH till 10nH 0805 components laying around. When increasing the inductance I would have anticipated a further decrease of the already too low frequency, but it remained at around 50MHz. Leads me to believe the inductors might not work right. Hmmm.....

>> The  values of L are quite small for such big inductors... i think you'll need wirewound ones.
I will change the board to include wirewound inductors. This should then also tell me whether the 0805 ones were not working properly.
Their self resonace frequency is 4500MHz, well beyond to what I need. The Q-value is stated as 43 at 450MHz. From the Q-F curve it apprears the Q drops to about 25 at 200MHz.

>> Are you loading with a scope probe or 50 ohm ? are you using a digital scope (if so make sure you are sampling enough) ?
The scope is not a digital one. Agilent 54621A 60MHz, 200MSa/s. I don't have a loading resistor at the moment, just the probe. You think it'll make a difference if I put a high impedance load? At the moment, the output is taken via a capacitor from the collector to get rid of the dc component. I chose this c-value as big as the resonance capacitor.

>> Cf... Cres are you using a low loss RF capacitor ?
The capacitors are RF/Microwave caps. Again, the self resonance frequency is well beyond to what I need. (1GHz)
They're low ESR as well.

How big would you chose the Cf capacitor? Literature never tells you that as it's always being ignored. If I play around with it Cf will increase f when it is very small, the bigger Cf gets the less it influences f.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2006, 1:41pm

trond wrote on Oct 21st, 2006, 12:57am:
The scope is not a digital one. Agilent 54621A 60MHz, 200MSa/s. I don't have a loading resistor at the moment, just the probe. You think it'll make a difference if I put a high impedance load? At the moment, the output is taken via a capacitor from the collector to get rid of the dc component. I chose this c-value as big as the resonance capacitor.

How can you expect to measure 200MHz on a 60MHz scope ??

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:13am

Yes, I know it's only 60MHz. However, I also tested the circuit on a better oscilloscope with the same results. I will fiddle around with the circuit, change components and try a few more strategies and then post any results.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2006, 12:58am

Hi,

What was the performance of the better scope? Your current scope has a sampling rate of 200 MS/s. This is also critical along with the signal bandwidth. You might be seeing undersampling of your waveform otherwise as ACWWong mentions.

Regards
Vivek

trond wrote on Oct 23rd, 2006, 3:13am:
Yes, I know it's only 60MHz. However, I also tested the circuit on a better oscilloscope with the same results. I will fiddle around with the circuit, change components and try a few more strategies and then post any results.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #6 - Oct 24th, 2006, 3:32am

>>How about changing some values to see the delta freq.?
I did, but could only change them by a little since I have only 2.7nH till 10nH 0805 components laying around. When increasing the inductance I would have anticipated a further decrease of the already too low frequency, but it remained at around 50MHz. Leads me to believe the inductors might not work right. Hmmm.....

So how about just shorting across the 0805 indcutor placements ? As changing L makes no effect and the L value is already next to nothing at 50 MHz..., I would guess that shorting would also make no impact (expect a modest increase if f)... Then we are sure our ocsillation isn't hartley obeying 1/(2*pi*sqrt(LC)).

In any case if you are measuring the frequency ok (best method would be Active high impedance probe into a spectrum analyser). An analog scope a couple of octaves outside its bandwidth doesn;t represent something you can trust... so if you got it working correctly, you might not see it!!

How big would you chose the Cf capacitor? Literature never tells you that as it's always being ignored. If I play around with it Cf will increase f when it is very small, the bigger Cf gets the less it influences f.

Cf should be large (but not add much parasitic), i'd go for >100pF.
Are you using a large value and good quality for your supply decoupling C as well ? remeber that forms the return path for your resonant circuit... especially if your power supply is crummy.
Are you using a good pcb, suitable for RF ? have you looked at extracting what parasitics the PCB gives you ?

anyway best of luck with it...

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2006, 9:02am

I changed my design including the frequency determining components. The problem* with the original circuit was the L/C ratio which was quite low since I was using a big capacitor and small inductors. Following the guideline of 2pF/meter or a reactance of 180 Ohms for the inductor at the frequency of oscillation worked much better. I also used some coils with a lower resonance frequency as otherwise the Q factor might have dropped too much. The PCB is still just an ordinary non RF PCB board. The frequency of oscillation is now spot on.

*The problem is that I will have to use a 68pF capacitor, meaning I will have to use smaller inductances. In theory any LC combination should work, shouldn’t it? I guess it might be more difficult though.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2006, 9:38am

yes, the L to C balance was too skewed... sometimes its nice to think about V=L*di/dt (and I=C*dv/dt...) using small L means large di/dt is needed for the oscillation, which might not be acheiveable by you circuit at the frequency/slew you need...

but since you need the 68pF.... how about putting is a series C to reduce the actual Cres ? then you can make L a decent value....

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2006, 1:12am

ACWWong,

>> how about putting is a series C to reduce the actual Cres ?
I thought about that. The problem is that my 68pF capacitor is a sensor which changes the frequency of oscillation. If I put a smaller capacitor in series to reduce the overall capacitance, then the capacitance change in the big capacitor will be halved. Meaning my overall frequency change will be smaller as well. Cannot do that.  :-[ The change in frequency is already very little. That is why I wanted a higher frequency in the frist place.

>>sometimes its nice to think about V=L*di/dt (and I=C*dv/dt...) using small L means large di/dt is needed for the oscillation
Very good point!!!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2006, 12:05am

One last thing that I noticed. So far I had tested the oscillator without a bypass capacitor. So to reduce power supply noise I wanted to put a 100nF ceramic capacitor between the supply rails and ground (see picture in first post).  However, when doing so the frequency of oscillation drops from the right 125MHz value to something around 40MH. In fact, no matter what capacitor value I use, as long as its reactance it quite small the frequency drops to 40MHz. When simulating the circuit in Spectre Cby does not change the frequency of oscillation. Why is that? What am I missing here?

Cheers.

.........a little later...........

Maybe I was underestimating the effect on higher frequencies on capacitors. The ceramic 100nF capacitor I wanted to use as a by-pass capacitor is just too big I guess. When looking at the S-parameter plot I noticed a Fr frequency of < 30MHz. So at 125MHz the capacitor would have been an inductor. For a 680pF 0805 ceramic capacitor the Fr frequency is at around 350MHz (see picture). So I will try this one.
How would one choose a good by-pass capacitor? Any more tips than just looking at the S-parameter plot? What is the preferred material?

Thanks

1_002.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2006, 2:38am

trond wrote on Oct 27th, 2006, 12:05am:
One last thing that I noticed. So far I had tested the oscillator without a bypass capacitor. So to reduce power supply noise I wanted to put a 100nF ceramic capacitor between the supply rails and ground (see picture in first post).  However, when doing so the frequency of oscillation drops from the right 125MHz value to something around 40MH. In fact, no matter what capacitor value I use, as long as its reactance it quite small the frequency drops to 40MHz. When simulating the circuit in Spectre Cby does not change the frequency of oscillation. Why is that? What am I missing here?

Cheers.

.........a little later...........

Maybe I was underestimating the effect on higher frequencies on capacitors. The ceramic 100nF capacitor I wanted to use as a by-pass capacitor is just too big I guess. When looking at the S-parameter plot I noticed a Fr frequency of < 30MHz. So at 125MHz the capacitor would have been an inductor. For a 680pF 0805 ceramic capacitor the Fr frequency is at around 350MHz (see picture). So I will try this one.
How would one choose a good by-pass capacitor? Any more tips than just looking at the S-parameter plot? What is the preferred material?

Thanks

i think the issue you saw was the physical size problem of high value decoupling caps... your 100nF i guess must have had a couple of nH parasitic... which would certainly add to your tank circuit L and could substantially reduce your frequency. Try using a smaller surfcae mount, 0805 sounds ok... but better would be 0603 or 0402... with materials like X7R you can still get good large values (>10nF) in these sizes... check out someone like murata.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.