The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 2:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
about two step adc missing code (Read 3012 times)
jim

about two step adc missing code
Oct 26th, 2006, 8:08pm

Hello all,

I am testing a 10bit two step adc chip ,the reference voltage Vref+=1.4v,Vref_=0.4v,Vmid=0.9v,power supply is 1.8v,process is 0.18um, test result shows there are missing code about 960(decimal),when I overdrive the reference voltage Vref+=2.0v,Vref_=0.6v,Vmid=1.3v, power supply change to 2.2v,there are no missing code. I suspicion the Vref_=0.4v is too low,which will lead to the comparator of flash adc work abnormal,because the Nmos Vth is 0.4v for 0.18um process, but the simulation is ok. Could someone tell me the real reason? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Jim

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: about two step adc missing code
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2006, 7:28am

I think it's pretty hard to debug an ADC with such limited information about the type of design, architecture, and so on. There are so many factors that could influence this...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: about two step adc missing code
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2006, 4:06pm

Agreed - You  need a lot more information about what you have for circuits, etc before anyone can comment intelligently on this.

Some questions - has the simultions been modellled with parasitics and mismatch considerations? Is the problem clocking rate dependent?

And a million other questions need to be asked.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.