The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 10:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Design of a Hartley Oscillator (Read 3388 times)
tripod2000

Design of a Hartley Oscillator
Nov 02nd, 2006, 2:46am

Hey all,

http://www.electronics-tutorials.com/oscillators/oscillator-basics.htm shows a Hartley oscillator and a Colpitts circuit.  There is a formula for finding a frequency of a Colpitts oscillator, but not a Hartley oscillator. I believe I need a Hartley oscillator for my design with a frequency of about 100kHz or about 1MHz. Could someone please suggest a formula to work out what values of componants I would need.

(I will have a variable capacitance.)

Thank You Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Design of a Hartley Oscillator
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 7:52am

That web site uses small signal schematics with a large signal transistor in the middle of it. Also, the Hartley Colpitts oscillators don't get used a heck of a lot anymore. They tend to exist in one transistor designs from prior to 1965 or so.

Care to tell us a bit more about what you are trying to do and perhaps we can be of help?

thanks
Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
tripod2000

Re: Design of a Hartley Oscillator
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2006, 9:07am

I'm working on a control system like a Theremin. I want the oscillator frequency to change with a changing capacitance caused by a hand moving near an aerial. I figured on the Hartley because of the changing capacitance, the simplicity (cost being a factor in the design) and the feedback ration being constant seemed like a good idea.

Thank You.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.