The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 3rd, 2024, 11:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What should be criteria (Voltages, Currents ) (Read 315 times)
bharat
Community Member

What should be criteria (Voltages, Currents )
Nov 12th, 2006, 9:54pm

I am stuck up here, please help me.

I am designing a high speed comparator with very stringent rise/fall specs. By using the minimum channel length of the process technology, I was able to achieve that specs. After that I realised that min channel length is no good for offset of the comparator so I increased the channel length but I am not able to get the same rise/fall mismtach data. Now I am comparing my previous design (with min channel length) to new design just to get the feel as what is making the difference in performance. I started with matching the currents of the two designs in individual transistors, the rise/fall mismatch is still far off. I gave the reason that though the currents may be same, now the capacitance values have increased in later design and it is taking more time to charge and discharge the capacitances.
So I realized that it shouldn't be current rather some other parameter.
As I incresed the channel length, to compensate it with same current, I incresed the Width of the device also. Resulting this, I am having different gm, Vgs so on.
Also I have deep submicron process narrow channel length so don't know the second and third order of effects resulting this mismatch like Vth variation with device dimension.

This is the background of my question. Now the question is, if I have 2 same designs with different dimensions and I want the same performance, what should be matched in first order assumption. Is it current, gm, Vgs Vds ??

Please get back to me, if it is not clear..

Thanks
-Bharat

View Profile   IP Logged
bharat
Community Member

Re: What should be criteria (Voltages, Currents )
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2006, 10:48pm

In continuation of my previous email, I do understand that its difficult to precisely say that what parameters should be matched. It is not an attempt to overly simplify such a great design work. Also, designer's discretion is required to make a call. I am just expecting some guiding rules where I can give a shot.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2006, 8:51am

In actuality you may have answered the question yourself.

You are trying to match the performance of the device.

Since a number of different things interact with each other in the process of doing the design, you can not really say that a particular parameter needs to be matched.

As for the geometry vs. speed issue, you may want to consider techniques to calibrate out the offset as mismatch gets worse, AC coupling of stages to eliminate mismatch, or something similar.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2006, 8:04pm

You should plot Vth vs. L to get an idea of how much Vth is varying with L.  If you care about mismatch, pick an L that will give a fairly constant Vth.  For short-channel devices, Vth is fairly sensitive with min L.

A larger Vgs is going to help reduce the Id variation as Vth varies.  Also, a larger overdrive is going to give you higher speed, and will help compensate for the reduction in speed caused by a non-min L.  One thing to watch for is increasing W/L, thinking you are going to get a speed increase.  If you keep Vgs constant, current goes up, but so does capacitance, so you waste power.  And, if you keep Id constant, Vgs has to drop, lowering speed and making mismatch worse.

For short-channel devices, I'd say that the variations in Vds are pretty important for matching.  Even if you have matched Vgs and Vth and W/L, that's not going to help much for short-channel devices with very different Vds.  Of course, longer L will decrease channel-length modulation and Vds mismatches won't matter as much.

In summary:
large L
larger Vgs
match Vds

Marc

bharat wrote on Nov 12th, 2006, 9:54pm:
Also I have deep submicron process narrow channel length so don't know the second and third order of effects resulting this mismatch like Vth variation with device dimension.

This is the background of my question. Now the question is, if I have 2 same designs with different dimensions and I want the same performance, what should be matched in first order assumption. Is it current, gm, Vgs Vds ??

Thanks
-Bharat

View Profile   IP Logged
avlsi
Community Member

singapore
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2007, 4:13am

I think if offset was problem, does any CDS technique solve your problem?

Winners never Quit,Quitters never Win
View Profile   IP Logged
chase.ng
Community Member

penang/malaysia
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2007, 6:41pm

Hi,

I guess the more efficient way to solve the prob is by architecture rather than by tuning the devices. Like wat suggested by avlsi, CDS is good, or try putting a preamplifier in front.

chase

Chase
View Profile chase.ng   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.