The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 2:47am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LDO under rapid load current change (Read 4082 times)
uncle_ezra
Community Member

LDO under rapid load current change
Nov 22nd, 2006, 1:41am

Suppose you have a LDO and I simulate the response of Vout under a rapid rise and fall time of 1ps in load current. In frequency domain the rise time is just the Laplace transform of a step function which is 1/s. So if the frequency response of the LDO has peaking after unity gain frequency this test will trigger oscillation even for an adequate phase margin. Is my thinking right? At least I am observing this in simulation, so I am trying to explain the reasoning behind it.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: LDO under rapid load current change
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2006, 2:46am

uncle_ezra wrote on Nov 22nd, 2006, 1:41am:
S. So if the frequency response of the LDO has peaking after unity gain frequency this test will trigger oscillation even for an adequate phase margin.

Thanks

Hi,

If your frequency response has appreciable peaking after unity gain frequency, then why are you looking only at phase margin? Your system has too little gain margin. Since it is an LDO, I am guessing you have problems with the complex pole pair that you get due to the load cap. If it oscillates, it cannot be a stable system.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2006, 12:26pm

Two questions:

What is the ESR (effective series resistance) of your decoupling capacitance? (This plays heavly into the phase margin of your system.)

What is the voltage, and resulting gain, of your output transisotr? (In an LDO this varies by 30db or so, depending on operating point.)

Take a close look at these two items, they affect stability in a big way.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
uncle_ezra
Community Member

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2006, 8:57pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your reply. From measurement and simulation my LDO is unstable for high ESR > 8 Ohms. However if I place two low Q capacitors (10uF and 1uF) in parallel the LDO is stable. Does placing two parallel high ESR capacitors decrease the overall ESR? How does this work? If I place a third capacitor (1uF) in parallel the LDO is unstable. Any reasonings?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2006, 9:16am

Do the equivalent networks of what you are doing (Laplace transforms, S Plane will work) and you will see that you are shifting the phase margin of the system all over the place by doing this.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.