The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 26th, 2024, 3:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zero Diagonal Found in Jacobian! (Read 5226 times)
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Zero Diagonal Found in Jacobian!
Nov 26th, 2006, 10:06am

Hi,

When does Spectre prompt the following convergence issue?

Zero diagonal found in Jacobian at 'nodeX' and 'nodeX'

Does a certain circuit condition lead to this error? I should say that I am trying to simulate a mixer with VerilogA square law transistors using PSS. I am My VerilogA model covers both saturation and triode operation regions.

Thank you so much.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Zero Diagonal Found in Jacobian!
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2006, 5:16am

You've probably got a poorly-defined model.  What happens in subthreshold?  If you don't have a GMIN or subthreshold current equation, then you'd likely get a zero diagonal message.  The Jacobian (matrix) is loaded with partial derivatives of all the currents with respect to the node voltages.  If there's a zero diagonal at nodeX, then it means that, when linearized about the operating point, changing the voltage on nodeX will not affect the current into nodeX.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
schehrazi
Community Member

University of CA, LA
Re: Zero Diagonal Found in Jacobian!
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2006, 11:12am

Thanks, I fixed it by changing the initial condition parameters of PSS.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.