The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 30th, 2024, 1:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
error in "making" scientific software:portability (Read 552 times)
jaind

error in "making" scientific software:portability
Nov 26th, 2006, 3:38pm

hello,

I am trying to install a scientific software written(by ken kundert) in 1988-1990 on my laptop running Ubuntu 6.10. I have gcc-2.95 and g++-2.95.
The name of the package is "sparse"(if it helps -- it solves a sparse liner system of equations).

However, when i do a "make" inside the software's directory(which is what the instructions tell) i get the following error:

gcc -c -Dnotdef\
spallocate.c -o spallocate.o
gcc: No input files
make: *** [spallocate.o] Error 1

However, I am able to sucessfully "make" the package on an old solaris machine which we have in our department. i dont think its a gcc issue.

So its probably a portability issue. I might need to install some additional softwares but am lost on this!! Can anyone suggest something??

All my thesis work is stuck on this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: error in "making" scientific software:portabil
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2006, 5:20am

Have you tried typing the gcc command instead of make?

% gcc -c -Dnotdef spallocate.c -o spallocate.o

Note I've taken out the backslash and newline.  Perhaps the backslash is grabbed as part of the -D, and then gcc doesn't understand it as a line continuation character.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.