The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
material on SiGe (Read 5146 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

material on SiGe
Dec 07th, 2006, 8:41am

Hi,

Can anybody suggest a good reference for the basics of SiGe transistor operation where the basic parameters
such as Gm and Ft are also derived?

I remember reading a doc on the IBM website years ago as an undergrad where they gave an excellent explanation
of the graded base SiGe transistor and also SOI devices. However, I cannot find any useful links through Google
or IBM anymore, except tons of papers where SiGe was used or ads and news releases from companies.

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: material on SiGe
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2006, 7:53am

Hi Vivek,
I recall I attended an excellent workshop on SiGe in a workshop at RFIC symposium Boston 2000. Its normally quite tough to get hold of the workshop notes but try the IEEE.
Anyway doing an IEEE search for D. Greenberg (IBM) or V. Ilderem (was motorola) might help.
I believe similar technical SiGe tutorials were given a BCTM (bipolar/bicmos circuits technology meeting) around the same time (circa 1997~2000).
Also try the SiGe technology book out recently by Peter Ashburn.
Yes, having used a few of the SiGe family of IBM processes, I can say there documentation provided in there design kits is very good and often included technology training in addition to model and user guides.
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2006, 12:06pm

The Mextram 504 transistor model includes some parameters for SiGe transistors; you might want to look at the documentation at the NXP (was Philips Semiconductor) web site:

http://www.nxp.com/Philips_Models/bipolar/mextram/

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
krishnap
Community Member

Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2006, 5:52am

Hi  Vivek,

HICUM is another model used for the SiGe  device.
Please find the link  which explains the  model, and parameters like ft.
www.iee.et.tu-dresden.de/iee/eb/mitarbeiter/publikat/SiGe_HBT_modeling_Tutorial_...

Thanks and regards,
krishna

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2006, 12:42am

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for the responses. I was able to get useful information from these. I also found a rudimentary but nonetheless useful summary of SiGe BJT
operation in the textbook by Gray and Meyer in the first chapters.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.