The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 3:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
transconductance measurement (Read 2414 times)
sivacha

India
transconductance measurement
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:32pm

Hi,

For my Gilbert mixer, how can i measure its transconductance(Gm)??
Theoritically it is (2/pi)*gm, gm being the transconductance of the RF transistor.

Which analysis i can use to measure the Gm??

Thanks,
Siva.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: transconductance measurement
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2006, 2:37am

You can measure the gm of you input transconductance stage.
Typically for a Gilbert this is a source-coupled-pair or emitter-coupled pair. The gm reported by the DC operating point is usually a good start. For hand calculations you look at something like Gray and Meyer.
If your Gilbert transconducatnce stage uses local series feedback (i.e degeneration) then the gm becomes gm/(1+gm*Zdeg). Again this is covered in Gray & Meyer and other standard analog IC design texts.
Anyway irrespective of linearity technique/input toplogy, I often just DC sweep the output differential drain current versus input differential volatge. The derivative of the current with respect to the input voltage gives gm. Its a quick look see and is often sufficient if devices are operating upto a tenth of ft.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.