The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 1:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
noise folding in VCO (Read 3124 times)
rfmems

noise folding in VCO
Dec 16th, 2006, 2:59pm

According to my calculation and also other publications. The noise contribution of differential pair to VCO phase noise doesnot change with W/L if Gm of this pair considered a square wave-like.

But in spectreRF simulation, the noise V^2/Hz decreases when W/L is inreased. My simulation was always in current-limted region a square-wave like Iout. Also the frequency changes from parasitics of the transistors are compensated with ideal caps so all the simulations oscillate at same freq. Tail current is also kept same therefore a almost same vout amplitude.

Does anyone know why? Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Re: noise folding in VCO
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2006, 3:13pm

Chen,

Could you provide the reference you are referring to by the statement, "The noise contribution of a
differential pair to VCO phase noise does not change with W/L if the Gm of this pair ...". It makes it
easier to respond to your question.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2006, 7:20am

Sheldon,

You can find this statement in "The designer's guide to high-purity oscillators" by Hegazi on page 57.

Although the deduction is somehow wrong and unclear, but this statement however fits my calculation too.

Best regards
Chen

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2007, 1:10am

I guess Emad's book contains something to reply your question.

1. larger W/L increase harmonics, the more harmonics, the more phase noise we have.
2. larger W/L increase Ctail, thus more upconversion of low frequency tail noise.

MIT published a new paper on it 2005 JSSCC Feb. You can go and have a look.

rfmems wrote on Dec 17th, 2006, 7:20am:
Sheldon,

You can find this statement in "The designer's guide to high-purity oscillators" by Hegazi on page 57.

Although the deduction is somehow wrong and unclear, but this statement however fits my calculation too.

Best regards
Chen

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.