The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 2:33am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spectre simulation error (Read 3463 times)
xwcwc1234

TAIWAN
spectre simulation error
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:56pm

Hi ,
  I try to use Spectre to run a circuit and got the following messages:

Error found by spectre during circuit read-in.
     "test.sp" 1: Syntax error in specification of `Fatal'.
 Fatal error found by spectre during circuit read-in.
   "test.sp" 2: SPICE Reader failure; see SPICE Reader
       log file: "test.spplog"

Anyone knows what 's the problem of my spice file ?
Note : I mixed spice and Spectre netlist in one file , and use Bsim2v3 spice model file.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: spectre simulation error
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2006, 4:45am

That error message seems to indicate that the first line of test.sp starts with "Fatal"

I think Berkeley Spice (and some commercial tools) treat the first line as a comment, even if it doesn't start with "*".  You could try putting a * at the beginning of the first line.  But you should also make sure that your netlist looks right -- maybe the program you used to generate the netlist had a Fatal error, and test.sp contains only the error notice rather than the netlist??

Also, I'm not sure you can mix Spice and Spectre in the same file -- I think you have to split the file and use an include command so you can specify the simulator lang= appropriately for each piece.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2006, 9:45am

Cadence provides a Spice to Spectre translator called spp that is called automatically by spectre when it sees a Spice netlist. I believe the Spice translator is generating a fatal error message that is some how getting into the netlist it is sending to Spectre, and then Spectre is treating the error message as a netlist statement. You might want to run spp stand alone on your netlist and use it to clean up the original Spice netlist. Once it is clean and generates no errors, you can run it through Spectre directly.

-Ken

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2007, 6:06am

In fact I'd recommend a newer spectre version (MMSIM60 or MMSIM61) which can natively read SPICE syntax without needing to go through the spp preprocessor. This is both quicker, has better error reporting, and more thorough.

In IC5141, you can add the +csfe command line switch, and it will invoke the new front-end parser (it was introduced in IC5141, but not made the default).

Regards,

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.