The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TSMC 0.18 components (Read 2382 times)
sandman
Community Member

TSMC 0.18 components
Dec 25th, 2006, 1:34pm

Hi,

I'm implementing a RF front end at a very low level of power consumption. While I was working on a inductive-source degenerated LNA, I realised that I would require a large inductance (>15nH), given an TSMC 0.18 technology.

During my simulations to find L, R and Q of an inductor, I found that the inductor's L value peaks at a certain frequency. Thankfully, this frequency is also the one I'm working with. This L value is larger than it's value at low freq (say 1Hz) byt a factor of 2. (11nH@1Hz and 22nH@my_frequency_of_interest). I was wondering if this value/simulation result is a reliable one or if anyone has had a similar experience. The simulations were performed in ADS and Cadence.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Sandman.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: TSMC 0.18 components
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2006, 5:23am

Yes, inductance value for spirals does typically peak, but the peak usually occurs much past the peak Q frequency... so although you get higher L value your Q is much degraded so as to limit the effective impedance if resonanted. As a result I personally have never designed using the peak L value of a spiral inductor in my designs.
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Re: TSMC 0.18 components
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2006, 12:12pm

Thanks for your inputs, aw.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.