The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 2:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FOM of sigma-delta ADC (Read 2954 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
FOM of sigma-delta ADC
Jan 22nd, 2007, 1:18am

Hi, Guys,

I read a paper in ISSCC 2006, "An 80/100MS/s 76.3/70.1dB SNDR ΔΣ ADC for Digital TV Receivers" .

It reads that Quote:
The ΔΣ ADC achieves a 76.3/70.1dB peak SNDR over a 3.2/4MHz bandwidth while consuming 23.8/34.4mW from a 1.8V supply, which leads to a 0.7/1.64pJ/conversion FOM

I calculated and found that the FOM should be 1.4/3.29pJ/conversion, which are twice of the FOM in that paper. My formula is
                                                Power
                               FOM=---------------------
                                         2^ENOB * bandwidth
where bandwidth is 3.2/4MHz respectively.

I am sure this formula is correct when I calculate FOM of nyquist ADCs, where bandwidth is ERBW or fs. But for an oversampling ADC, Mm...... Huh Am I wrong?

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: FOM of sigma-delta ADC
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:38am

Hi Ygwuo,

first of all, there are a lot of FOM definitions, but the one you use is a very common one.

The difference between your calculated value and the one in the paper lies in the 'bandwidth' term in your equation: most likely, that should be the sampling rate Fs and according to the Nyquist theorem, this should be at least twice the bandwidth, hence the factor 2.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: FOM of sigma-delta ADC
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2007, 6:11am

Hi, Peter,

I agree with you. Unfortunately, the authors didn't give their defintion of FOM. Smiley

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.