The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 8:42pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bsim VerilogA model and AC analysis (Read 1223 times)
NanoMilton

Bsim VerilogA model and AC analysis
Jan 24th, 2007, 2:23pm

Hi,

Is there a Verilog A Version of BSIM model? If so, where can I find it? Also, it is not possible to run analysis with model implemented in Verilog A,isn't it?

Thanks a lot.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Bsim VerilogA model and AC analysis
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2007, 4:48am

Silvaco (now simucad)  has "not for commercial use" bsim3 and bsim4 verilog-a models, available (last I checked) after registration from their web site.  (I think there's a link if you click Verilog-AMS from the nav bar of this site.) Others have done the translation, also, but I don't think they've put them out for the public.

If your simulator supports Verilog-A, it should support Verilog-A for any analysis type, so I'm not sure I understand your second question.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
NanoMilton

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2007, 11:48am

Thanks a lot. I got the BSIM models from the web.

With regard to my second question, I remember that there is a post somewhere in this forum saying that Verilog A doesn't support complex number calculation. Actually, what I want is to run a frequency domain analysis on my model so as to characterize it's ac behavior. Is it possible to do so?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2007, 12:39pm

You can run an ac analysis with a Verilog-A model.  The complex numbers are handled by the simulator -- it linearizes the equations in the Verilog-A model, and capacitive terms get multiplied by j ω.  The Verilog-A model itself does not have any complex numbers in its equations.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
NanoMilton

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2007, 12:53pm

So, to describe a capacitor, I use the statement:

I(Drain,Source) <+ ddt(Cds*V(Drain,Source));

Does the simulator automatically know that it's a capacitor?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2007, 4:32am

NanoMilton wrote on Jan 26th, 2007, 12:53pm:
Does the simulator automatically know that it's a capacitor?

Yes.

Actually, probably the better way to describe what happens is: the simulator sees the "ddt" operator, which has a Fourier transform involving multiplication by j ω, which is used to compute the frequency response of the linearized system.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.