The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:30am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
process info (Read 3881 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

process info
Jan 28th, 2007, 7:54pm

Hi all,

does anybody know if there's a substantial difference in the linearity (3rd order) of the Chartered Semiconductor 0.18 micron RF CMOS process and the IBM 0.18 micron process? Also what about the difference between 0.13 and 0.18?

One last question, what is a typical Q value of on-chip inductors using the IBM 0.13 micron process at 2.4 GHz? Say 6 nH...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: process info
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2007, 3:41am

i used 0.18u and 0.13u in my last two projects... no substantial difference in 3rd linearity when Voverdrive is the same... obviously in 0.13u you have the lower voltage contraint.
Q of a 6nH at 2.4GHz in IBM 0.13um... depends on your inductor design, BEOL metal stack etc, but i would reckon Q above 10 should be achieveable at 2.5 GHz (an 6nH should be able to achieve peak Q near at 2~3GHz depending on your area constaints).

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2007, 5:28pm

thanks aw.

Do you happen to know if there's a big difference in the performance of IBM, CSM, TSMC?

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2007, 2:41am

i don't think there is much difference in performance between IBM and TSMC as its all CMOS @0.13u/0.18u. Can't remember if they both offer higher resistance substrate in the RFCMOS process rather than the bulk CMOS... for RF chips higher sub resitivity is better for passives and isolation.

IBM's PDK delivery is better in terms of content (I have not seen TSMC at 0.13u, but at 0.18u the support was poor last i looked). .. and have quite alot of RF information (good inductor/MIM models... varactors ok) and plenty of metal options.

I haven't used chartered... so can;t comment...

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2007, 12:58pm

The IBM model team does a much better job at model accuracy than TSMC or chartered. Orders of magnitude better

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: process info - thanks
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2007, 12:54am

thanks for the info,

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.