The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 17th, 2024, 4:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ADC clock jitter revisited: integration interval (Read 2678 times)
Visjnoe

ADC clock jitter revisited: integration interval
Feb 02nd, 2007, 11:21am

Dear all,

following up on a previous post I made, I'd like to re-discuss the integration interval for the phase noise of a CLK which is delivered to an ADC.

In the previous discussion I stated (and other people) that the phase noise should be integrated upto FCLK/2,
the idea being that higher frequency jitter/noise cannot be observed in 1 CLK period.

Concerning the 'observation', I think the statement is correct. However, the CLK's edges actually 'undersample' the high frequency noise, leading to noise folding. Thus, also noise above FCLK/2 can appear 'in band'.

Basically, I now think this noise can have a contribution to the overall jitter of the ADC CLK. So, when designing an oscillator for an ADC, the phase noise integration's interval upper limit is not FCLK/2.

Any comments are more than welcome...

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: ADC clock jitter revisited: integration interv
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2007, 6:02pm

Indeed, you must account for the sampling before doing the integration.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
David Lee

Re: ADC clock jitter revisited: integration interv
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2007, 1:02am

Define "phase noise" Stheta(f) as the power spectral density of the discrete sequence:
   theta_n := 2Pi f0 ( t_n - n T ) , n = 1 ..
where t_n are clock transition times, and T := 1/f0 is the nominal clock period.
Stheta(f) is simply the power spectral density of absolute jitter expressed in radians.
Here, the upper integration limit should be f0/2, because this is psd for a discrete sequence.

To predict the effect of clock jitter on ADC performance, will need to consider that clock phase noise is colored by the PLL, and the subsequent discrete filtering operation to be performed after ADC.

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.