The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:54pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IIP3 Measurement for a Gm cell (Read 4033 times)
jobless

India
IIP3 Measurement for a Gm cell
Feb 04th, 2007, 1:27am

I'm trying to measure the IIP3 of a source-degenerated transconductor (Gm cell).

The Gm cell is a normal degenerated source coupled pair with a tail current source.

First, I used an ideal resistor of 3K to do the source degeneration. Here, the IM3 products grew at 3x slope compared to the fundamental and both intersected at 1.6v (which is the Viip3)  

Next, I used a MOS operating in deep triode region (which sized to have a Ron of 3K) to do the source degeneration. Here, the IM3 products grew only as 2x.  As a result, the fundamental and IM3 met at around 30V!
I can't understand why IM3 products don't grow at 3x for the second case.

Please help!

Other details:
 freq. of tones: f1=1 MHz f2=1.1 MHz.
 Did  transient analysis+dft for a long time and observed  the power at f1 and 2*f1-f2.  
 Used Spectre

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: IIP3 Measurement for a Gm cell
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2007, 3:30am

The triode mos degenerated pair, will probably exhibit a 3rd harmonic signature, which is sometimes slope not equal to 3, depending on the input tone strength. This is because the triode mos will not be 3k resistance fixed as is modulated by input signal strength. Try plotting the current through the triode mos vs the voltage across it, it won't be 3k fixed like a real resistor.
You could also see the difference by purely doing an input dc sweep, and taking the differential of the (differential) output current (which is gm) and plotting versus vin. For small vin the gm's will be the same between real R and triode R (if =3k). As the vin increases, the gm characteristics will deviate between the two graphs, showing Rtriode shift from 3k. If the slope of gm vs vin for the triode degenerated pair equals that of the real r case, then your IIP3 will grow at 3db/1db, otherwise it will deviate, as yo have seen.
hope this helps.

View Profile   IP Logged
jobless

India
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2007, 5:40am

Thanks a lot.

My inputs tones are very small. I varied the input tone strength (at f1 and f2) from  10uV each to 200uV.
Still I'm  getting the same results.
How small should the "small inputs" be?
My Vdd is 1.2v and I'm using 0.13u technology.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2007, 11:06am

the tone strengths of 10uV to 200uV already seems very small. The 2*f1-f2 distortion output must be very small indeed, i wonder if you are suffering simulation accuracy issues/can you easily see the distortion tone above the numerical noise of the dft ?
Why are you using such small input tones ? If triode degeneration is indeed a fixed 3k in the transient run, then there doesn;t seem to be a reason why it should differ to the real r case, so try what i suggested in the previous post.
Have you read the IIP3 paper under the analysis tab of the designers-guide.org ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Bill Toole

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2007, 4:50am

What accuracy setting are you using? For IIP3 sims you should use conservative setting. You may even need to tighten reltol and abstol even though Cadence say not too. I have seen several situations where it made a difference. I would suggesat 1e-6 for reltol, 3e-8 for vabstol, and 1e-13 for iabstol.

You also mentioned you are using ffts to detemine the intermods. Have you let the simulation reach full steady state and are you using the fft for the final portion of the transient (ie, make sure you are not including any startup transients). You may want to consider using QPSS in spectreRF instead for this type of sim.

Bill

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.