The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 11:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BRIEF, NXX Statement in Hspice (Read 7303 times)
qiushidaren
Community Member

I am a lovely
MOSFET!

Chengdu
BRIEF, NXX Statement in Hspice
Feb 05th, 2007, 12:55am

Hi all,

I am studying Hspice right now. In Hspice manual it says like this:
BRIEF, NXX: Stops printback of the data file, until Hspice finds an .OPTION BRIEF=0, or the .END statement. It also resets the LIST, NODE, and OPTS options, and sets NOMOD. BRIEF=0 enables printback. NXX is the same as BRIEF.

But I still can't understand this kind of explanation, what does "printback of the data file" mean here, and what's NXX? Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Terry

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: BRIEF, NXX Statement in Hspice
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2007, 5:32am

When you run HSpice, it usually echoes the entire input file -- and included libraries! -- to stdout, or to the log file.  Often, you don't care to see the libraries spewed to the screen.  The manual is saying you can:

.OPTION BRIEF

or

.OPTION NXX

and get the same behavior (suppress echoing).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
qiushidaren
Community Member

I am a lovely
MOSFET!

Chengdu
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2007, 6:10am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Feb 5th, 2007, 5:32am:
When you run HSpice, it usually echoes the entire input file -- and included libraries! -- to stdout, or to the log file.  Often, you don't care to see the libraries spewed to the screen.  The manual is saying you can:

.OPTION BRIEF

or

.OPTION NXX

and get the same behavior (suppress echoing).

Hi Geoffrey, do you know what does NXX stand for here, BRIEF means brief, but how about NXX, I really can't guess out where do these acronyms come from.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2007, 2:08pm

qiushidaren wrote on Feb 5th, 2007, 6:10am:
Hi Geoffrey, do you know what does NXX stand for here, BRIEF means brief, but how about NXX, I really can't guess out where do these acronyms come from.

No idea.  Could be from some obsolete simulator, lost to history ...  In HSpice, some of the device aspects (cgs, gm, gds) are also known by odd names like LX20.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
qiushidaren
Community Member

I am a lovely
MOSFET!

Chengdu
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2007, 5:18pm

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Feb 5th, 2007, 2:08pm:

No idea.  Could be from some obsolete simulator, lost to history ...  In HSpice, some of the device aspects (cgs, gm, gds) are also known by odd names like LX20.

Got it, thank you.

-Terry

OldHouseBlues

Massachusetts, USA, Earth
Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2007, 6:24am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Feb 5th, 2007, 2:08pm:

Regarding the "odd names like LX20", this is an HSPICE feature described as "element
template output" in the HSPICE Simulation and Analysis User Guide. It allows the user to:

"...output user-input parameters, state variables, stored charges, capacitor currents,
capacitances, and derivatives of variables."

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2007, 11:20am

OldHouseBlues wrote on Feb 8th, 2007, 6:24am:
Regarding the "odd names like LX20", this is an HSPICE feature described as "element template output" in the HSPICE Simulation and Analysis User Guide.

But why LX20?  How on earth is a designer supposed to remember that LX20 is Cgs not Cgd or gm?  Hmm, let's see, the top 20 things I'm likely to want to know about my device are: id, is, ig, ib, ... qd, ... dang, do the q's come before or after the c's?

John O Donovan

San Jose, CA
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2007, 2:31pm

I think that the LX/LV numbers are from the layout of the instance data structures in SPICE2. The number was the index into an array I think (or something similar).

Regards,
 John

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2007, 6:56pm

Geoffrey,

You don't have to use the obscure, hard to remember, element numbers in HSPICE these days. You can just do:

Code:
.PROBE CGSBO(M1) 

Rather than LX20. Each of the element templates has an equivalent meaningful name.

Regards,

Andrew.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 9th, 2007, 6:29am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Feb 8th, 2007, 6:56pm:
You don't have to use the obscure, hard to remember, element numbers in HSPICE these days

I know; this sub-thread got started with "what does NXX mean?"

I wonder if LX20 originated from the Spice2 Fortran code ... I don't recall seeing it in Spice3's C code.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.