The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 7th, 2024, 5:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oscillation frequency and Bode plot (Read 4499 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
oscillation frequency and Bode plot
Feb 05th, 2007, 2:36am

Hi, Guys,

Can I deduce the oscillation frequency from Bode plot? For eg., an amplifier or something else.

Define  
               A(jw)
Acl(jw)=-------------------
           1 + A(jw)F(jw)    ,
where A(jw) is the open-loop transfer function, F(jw) is the feedback, and Acl(jw) is the closed-loop transfer function.

I am sure that the closed-loop system oscillates at the frequency w1 if |A(jw1)F(jw1)| = 1 when phase[A(jw1)F(jw1)]=pi radian. Furthermore, the closed loop system oscillates and the oscillation will grow in magnitude if |A(jw1)F(jw1)| > 1 when phase[A(jw1)F(jw1)]=pi radian. But at which frequency?

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: oscillation frequency and Bode plot
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2007, 6:46am

Instability is one thing, oscillation another. Then there are different types of oscillators - for example, a monostable multivibrator is a different beast compared to a harmonic oscillator. A harmonic oscillation a fine balance between stability and instability, where the phase space trajectory closes on itself. OTOH an unstable system exhibits a phase space signature that spirals out.

Assuming you are interested in harmonic oscillations, poles on the jω axis are only a (rough) necessary condition for oscillation. A harmonic oscillator is an inherently non-linear circuit i.e; even though the circuit elements appear linear, the amplitude of the oscillation is determined by a saturation of the negative resistance characteristic. That is, the oscillations grow in amplitude until any further growth leads to a drop in negative resistance and damps out the oscillations. Further, due to pulling, the oscillation amplitude ends up shifting the frequency as well.

We electrical engineers get too caught up in linear analysis because it's easy, but there is plenty to life beyond jω.  An excellent tutorial on oscillators can be found at:

http://www.uni-potsdam.de/u/phys_gprakt/html/projekte/emwellen/EM-Schwingungen_1...

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2007, 8:27am

MG, so in short, is the answer no?  ;)

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2007, 10:14am

It's what I call the AWGN approach - say a lot and you can be sure something will match Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.