The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 9:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
temperature variation of accumulation MOS varactor (Read 2455 times)
arunm

Chennai, India
temperature variation of accumulation MOS varactor
Feb 10th, 2007, 7:53am

Hi,
   I am building an LC VCO with a total cap of around 500fF in which the accumulation varactor used for tuning accounts for around 150fF. Right now, I am using a varactor model which doesn't incorporate variation due to temperature. Can the temperature sensitivity of the varactor be neglected or will it be large enough to affect the freq range?

Thanks,
Arun

View Profile arunm arunm_ece   IP Logged
topquark
Community Member

Thames Valley, UK
Re: temperature variation of accumulation MOS vara
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2007, 2:23am

Arun,

You're right- usually the temp behaviour of caps are not modeled, in particular the varactor.
They just have the voltage gradient specified in ppm/V
In contrast, you've got the linear and quadratic tempco reported for a resistor.

What I did for a process was do a.c simulation with temp sweep and observed that tempco for mos-caps varies between +ve and -ve values.
For LC-VCO design, you're better off doing such a simulation, just with the varactor and also the whole oscillator to see how temperature's affecting it.

Cheers,
Gau

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.