The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 10:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL Simulation (Read 4358 times)
karachite

PLL Simulation
Feb 14th, 2007, 9:21pm

i am planning to design a PLL. i dont have access to RF spectre type of advanced simulation softwares. now how can i estimate the noise contributions of VCO, divider, and phase detector. i have access to ORCAD schematic capture and pspice simulator.

i am wondering how PLL's were design before the advent of advanced simulation softwres.

this website is wonderful.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: PLL Simulation
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2007, 11:33am

Dear Karachite,

I think you can only simulate PLL functionality (e.g. locking) given your tool set.

To evaluate phase noise, try to find some equations for the phase noise of your VCO and CP, as these will be the major contributors to the overall phase noise.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
fonseca.ha

UK
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2007, 9:49am

Hi
I agree with the above. The resistor in the loop filter may also play an important role in phase noise, depending on VCO gain, bandwidth and area of your design,
REgards,
Humberto

View Profile   IP Logged
DaveB

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2007, 4:29pm

If you have Excel, I have a spreadsheet that might take care of some of your requirements. You can download it at

http://www.keystoneradio.com/?n=Main.PLLDesign

I've used some VBA, so you might get a security alert when you run it.

Dave

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.